Outside lights switched in two ways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, I want to make it absolutely clear that I have no intention of carrying out this work myself. I know my limitations and this is probably one of them.

I'm getting some mains powered bollard lights for a new driveway and I've seen a night switch that will switch them on when it gets dark. Is it possible to have another switch in parallel inside the house, so that I can switch them on manually.

I did look at traditional landing/hall two way switching but this would mean that the night sensor would switch the bollard lights off if they have already been switched on with the indoor switch.

Anyone have thoughts?

Luca

Sponsored Links
The function you describe is an over ride switch rather than 2 way switching. Just a case of wiring your inside switch contacts in parallel with those in the light sensor.

Yes. Fit a photocell outside which will trigger the bollards to come on at dusk.

Then fit a switch that joins the live to the photocell switched live.

When the switch is closed, the lights will be permanently on, when the switch is open, they will only come on when it is dark enough to trigger the photocell.

Sponsored Links
IMG_20210305_124400_105.jpg

Of course - this is assuming that the internal wiring is accessible.
OP seems to be describing a photocell remote from the bollards so yes it should be accessible. In fact the sensor is quite likely to be mounted on the house so my expectation is very accessible.

Yes. Fit a photocell outside which will trigger the bollards to come on at dusk.

Then fit a switch that joins the live to the photocell switched live.

When the switch is closed, the lights will be permanently on, when the switch is open, they will only come on when it is dark enough to trigger the photocell.

That's great. Thanks so much and yes, the photocell will be remote and the bollards are 240v mains.

I need to get the power out to the front of the house and for that reason I will be calling on the services of a professional.

Also ask the electrician to fit a 2 pole isolator in the house for the outdoor circuit. This will enable you to fully isolate the lamps if ( when ) they are damaged and/or affected by water. A single pole isolator will leave the Neutral connected and any damage that results in a Neutral to Earth fault will cause the RCD to trip even if the Live has been isolated.

Also ask the electrician to fit a 2 pole isolator in the house for the outdoor circuit. This will enable you to fully isolate the lamps if ( when ) they are damaged and/or affected by water. A single pole isolator will leave the Neutral connected and any damage that results in a Neutral to Earth fault will cause the RCD to trip even if the Live has been isolated.

I think he’s fitting a fused switch unit on another circuit as the supply. Is there such a thing as a double pole FSU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back