outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi fellas, i want to install a couple of outside security lights but was wondering what type of cable to use. i prefer to use flex as it looks better than t+e. Is there a specific type of flex that is suitable for use outside?

Sponsored Links
Hi Nabby.

Before I start I should point out that this would be notifiable under Part P, see here for the details.

In general, T&E should never be used outside unless protected by conduit, etc. as it deteriorates over time. Flex is better, and while there is special low temperature flex etc. available, standard black flex is perfectly ok in most situations (black is apparently better than white at resisting the damage caused by exposure to light over time)

That depends on the route the cable will take though, and whether it needs mechanical protection, so more information would be needed to give a better answer.

Hope that helped a bit though

Gavin

Thanks for the reply Gavin. Wasnt sure whether it was notifiable work but thanks for clearing that up for me.
I have heard mentioned that arctic cable is good to use. the run of flex would only be a short run from the exsisting lighting radial in the loft to an outside light.

Arctic grade would be good if you want a bright blue or yellow flex on your wall.

Arctic grade is for extension leads and is designed to still be pliable in low temperatures. Think building sites and tools. It is not designed for fix wiring.

T+E is fine outside if not in direct sun light.

Sponsored Links
I do not think this work would be notifiable if the lights are fixed to the fabric of the building.

As far as I remember, only if the cable enters directly into the rear of the light......?

As far as I remember, only if the cable enters directly into the rear of the light......?

Good point, so the short length of cable coming from a connection inside the building entering the back of a PIR flood is ....... ?

I can see the difference if there was a run of fixed wiring on the outside of the building.

:D

I dunno - I pay little attention to the wording and requirements of everything Part P, as it plays little part in my day to day workings as a spark who can self certify. I dont look at jobs and think of ways around the system so to speak :LOL:

If you take the feed from a kitchen, special location or special installation, Approved Doc P states that it is notifiable (Additonal Note I)

I dunno - I pay little attention to the wording and requirements of everything Part P, as it plays little part in my day to day workings as a spark who can self certify. I dont look at jobs and think of ways around the system so to speak :LOL:

Same with me but just trying to save OP the hastle and expense of notifying.

TBH I don't know what LABC would do in this situation unless they were just out to make money.

DESL";p="861996 said:

TBH I don't know what LABC would do in this situation unless they were just out to make money.

Money - you've answered the question! I don't think they'd be bothered, but it would be money that drove them to any sort of action.

I can understand the gist of Part P being interested in bathrooms/gardens(increased risk) and kitchens (increased chance of total lash ups).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back