outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i want to fit a outdoor socket for lawnmower , i was going to take a connection from a socket that has no spur , as the consumer unit has already got RCD ,instead of fitting a 30 amp RCD spur, can i use a 13amp switch instead with the outdoor socket ,or is that not heavy enough ,i like the idea of switching the power to the outdoor socket , what are your thoughts on this
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
can i use a 13amp switch instead with the outdoor socket ,or is that not heavy enough ,i like the idea of switching the power to the outdoor socket

You can use a switched fuse connection, but you will be restricted to 13A only. Saying that if a standard single socket is being installed, you are restricted to that anyway. If a double gang socket is to be installed, then you would need to assess what the probability is that two appliances are to be used that will exceed the restricted load of 13A at any one given time/period.

Then you also have the option recommended by EFLI

You would still only be able to put a single or double gang socket to this, as it is a unfused spur being used, therefore limited to 20A load on the external socket.

So those are your best options, it could be possible to consider a higher rated two pole isolator, which then would allow two 13A appliances to be used at the same time, although I am not a fan of two 13A appliances loaded on a double gang socket at the same time.

what would be best between ELFIS 20 AMP DP or the switched fuse connection
i would be fitting just a single gang socket for lawnmower & occasional elect drill use

Sponsored Links
Assuming the circuit you are feeding from is a conventional ring-final circuit, protected by a 32A MCB, then the cabling should be in 2.5mm² T&E cable.

I would guess so that in the case of a fault developing within it, it can be isolated without having to isolate the whole circuit / all circuits connected to the same RCD?
You could have an isolating switch for everything then. No point for one socket, imo

You could have an isolating switch for everything then. No point for one socket, imo

Yes you could, but an outside socket is more at risk I would think, it's waterproof seal could fail or someone accidentally leaves it open one night....

i like the idea of switching the power to the outdoor socket, what are your thoughts on this

Absolutely essential I'd say.
Got a call out late one winter's night, 50-mile round trip. Half of large house with no power. Turned out damp in outside socket ... which only ever got used in the summertime, but had no means of isolation.

Had they been able to switch it off at the end of the summer, it would have saved a lot of inconvenience, and a hefty bill a week before Christmas!

If the socket is outside the house, it would also be possible for a foolish or malicious person to plug in something that tripped the RCD even when the house was unoccupied.

Maybe this would cut power to the burglar alarm or other equipment.

People have been known to use their next door's neighbours outdoor socket for zero cost elecricity.

Indoor isolator prevents that.

Absolutely essential I'd say.
Got a call out late one winter's night, 50-mile round trip. Half of large house with no power. Turned out damp in outside socket ... which only ever got used in the summertime, but had no means of isolation.

Had they been able to switch it off at the end of the summer, it would have saved a lot of inconvenience, and a hefty bill a week before Christmas!
after reading this comment i'm leaning towards fitting a 13 amp RCD 30ma spur switch ,that way it would trip before the RCD in the main consumer unit if there is ever a problem with water getting into the socket,
a few extra pounds but may be worth it

after reading this comment i'm leaning towards fitting a 13 amp RCD 30ma spur switch ,that way it would trip before the RCD in the main consumer unit

I wouldn't bet on it, either could go first. Stick with a 20amp DP switch of a FCU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back