Outside stable doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I was saying about being concernd about they may be lead painted,
Well I have been informed there not and have been painted many times before I will report back with pics soon.regards G
ps The nags have long since bolted :D

Sponsored Links
If it was built in the 1930's, it would be normal to have lead paint on it.

Who told you it doesn't, and what makes them think so?

Sponsored Links
The question is would you strip to bare wood or just the areas that are peeling? for get about the lead issue now thats sorted was painted in the 70s and 80s was stirpped bare then.regards

if you are sure that there is no lead present then there is no problem with burning off. this would be my preference due to the condition.
hope this helps

If you really know for sure that lead is not a factor here, you can using a heat gun strip the doors, then after sanding apply either one or two coats of aluminium primer.

Dec

dec

is there any reason why you would use aluminium primer and not just a good quality water based wood primer?

i personally would go down the dulux weathersheild route as this is a microporus product which lets the wood breath and has a 8 year guarantee if applied to manufacturers specification. leyland microporus is also a good paint system.

Then you will first need to apply a knotting agent then, aluminium primer should be the product of choice here.

Dec

i would personally rather apply the knotting to the knots and follow a microporus system as the aluminum primer will seal the wood preventing it from breathing.

its just preference, neither answer is wrong. that's what forums are for. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back