Outside stop valve not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to turn the mains water off to fix a leak in the house. Got a toby key(stopcock key) and turned the outside(under pavement) valve clockwise quarter of a turn as suggested by Scottish Water but the water still runs. Tried many times but the valve kept turning but not closing or shutting off water at all.

Am I missing something here or could the valve be knackered?

I have one gate valve under the kitchen sink and I don't think there is another stopcock in/outside the house.
The one under the sink turns off only the water in the kitchen/bathroom but nothing else.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is broken your water supplier [Scottish Water?] should replace it free of charge as it is their stop cock... but doesn't help you in the mean time...

yes am at the correct valve. got the Scottish water guy to come and unseized it the other day. He even sprayed the lid with blue colour. The valve keeps turning round clockwise or anti clockwise but water doesn't shut off.

Sponsored Links
Don't really know, I was not at home. he left a note saying that it's unseized. I called Scottish water and they said I have to turn valve quarter of turn to shut or open it. I tried but no luck.

Get them out again and be there when they attend. All I can offer really... Should be simple to operate otherwise!

You will find that it's very specific where the valve will shut the flow off, a mill either way and it will still run. If you can see the inlet and outlet pipe orientation either side of the valve then the crutchkey/valvehead needs to be exactly 90Deg to the run of the pipe. Either that or have someone in the house to shout when the flow stops. You will get it you just need to play with it. It's a notorious PITA thing up here in Scotland with the older square/crutch valves.

If you still can't get it then as dilalio mentions, get them back out and show you how they shut it off. You should see the gauge of the key they use when they come out, you can't buy such a heavy key, in Glasgow they get them specially made.

I can't see any pipes. Only the top rectangular valve head. I tried turning it clockwise bits at a time but no luck. Water still runs. I'll try to gently dig round it to see where the pipes are if not I'll get the water guy back for help.

Thank you all for your help. I 'll call Scottish water and see what they say and update here.

Usually the pipe run is straight to the house so that's the general direction that you'd be perpendicular to.

Thank you all for your great advice. In the end called Scottish Water and they checked valve again and decided that the stopcock was kaput. Few days later they dug it up and they are installing a new one.

I am very impressed by their customer service and the great guys who did the work. Very professional and friendly.

Excellent result.

I will seek advice about installing an external stopcock inside the boundaries of the house but that will be another thread.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back