Please help. mains water shut off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a leak under my stop cock valve inside the house. (under the kitchen sink)

I shut off the stop cock inside the house and the water was still, coming out, I shut off the water outside on the mains valve to the house and the leak stopped.

I then undid the leaky valve in the house and put PTF tape on it and did the valve back up, turned the stop cock on and water from the boiler came through with no leak. job done.

However when I tried to turn the water back on from the outside It wouldnt, the tool kept clicking when i was turning the valve in an anti clockwise direction.

Upon taking the screw off and looking at the connection to the valve it seems as though you can only turn it clockwise and not anti as the triangular grooves in it only face one way?

that explains the clicking when im turning it anti clockwise as it is not catching the grooves. It only turns clockwise into the stop position.

Can somebody help me? Im without running water and since I have spent so long fixing this, I dont really want to be caling out a plumber if the solution is a simple one.

Please help

Wallicio.

Sponsored Links
When you say you turned the water off using the stop tap outside, i assume you mean the one on the pavement/road/edge of your boundary. If so it is likely to be the water boards stop tap, and so their responsibility.

With that in mind, you can give them a ring, anytime i guess, and they'll come out within a few hours i would hope.

"I then undid the leaky valve in the house and put PTF tape on it and did the valve back up, turned the stop cock on and water from the boiler came through with no leak. job done."

This bit above confuses me. You have the water turned off at the mains, but you appear to be running water through your boiler (combi?). Or do you mean your running your hot tap and you have a cylinder? I don't understand.

Are you talking about the plastic stoptaps with the blue handle? if it is then you've overtightened it when you turned it off. These taps have a weak point built in to the handle that will slip before it unscrews the guts out of the tap, try pushing down on the handle while you are turning it on.

Quote:
"I then undid the leaky valve in the house and put PTF tape on it and did the valve back up, turned the stop cock on and water from the boiler came through with no leak. job done."

am sorry am not too lingo savvy, the hot water tap worked but not the cold, i guess this was from the boiler or inside the house not from externally if you know what imean?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the plastic stoptaps with the blue handle? if it is then you've overtightened it when you turned it off. These taps have a weak point built in to the handle that will slip before it unscrews the guts out of the tap, try pushing down on the handle while you are turning it on.

thats a wickid idea,never thought of that, the key is plastic and flimsy and there isnt a lot of room for manouver but yeah i will try this.

Genius.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

right tried that pushing down lark and after a blister has formed on the palm of my hand i submit, its not tuning at al, and im still getting no water, does anyoneone have any other ideas?

Or am i fighting a losing battle?

What will the plumber do if i call him? will he just turn it anti clockwise with a special tool and make it work?

Call your water supplier and explain what is happening.

They used to come free to sort out that kind of thing.

Tony

This site is the business. went out there for one last try and when i pushed it down it loosened up! what a bonus. thanks for all the help guys.
Wikid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back