Outside Tap - Connect to Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an outside tap in the back garden that is connected to the cold water supply. I would like to be able to wash the car (and the dogs) with warmer water. Is it easy/possible to connect the supply to both the hot water and the cold water? What would I need to do and buy? Any other considerations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep, we do it for animal washing.

We simply put a hot tap fed by the house's internal combi and a cold tap side by side outside.

Off these taps we have short hoses jointed via a normal hozelock Y pushfit adapter to a standard hosepipe.

Works just fine.

The *only* real issue we have is when somebody turns it off on the end of the hose with the nozzle. The pressure builds up and because the hot water softens the hosepipe it can pop the hozelock joints off. It's two seconds to push them back again so it's not really anything to be dramatic about.

You could probably do a mixer inside feeding a single outside, but that seems complicated, although once adjusted for temp probably wouldn't need you to tromp inside to adjust. Or you could do a shower thermostatic valve, only feeding an outside tap instead of a showerhead.

do u mean you want two taps or just one with premixed warm water?

Whatever you do, remember that you need check valves to your tap(s).

just on tap (the existing one). want to be able to link hot and cold supplies within the house to the tap. not constantly though. would like cold to be default (for the grass and plants etc.) but to have the option to flick a switch or turn a knob/tap to allow for warm to go through as well when washing the car and dogs.....

thanks so far!

Sponsored Links
Have two taps mate (with check valves). Anything else will give you a headache at some time, I reckon.
Connect a length of hose to each one, with a hozelock coupling at the end. This way, you can switch from one tap to another.
John :)

140.jpg

140.jpg

i'd suggest you install a stop cock inside the house for the hot water in case some bright spark thinks its funny to leave your hot water running overnight.. or when you go on holiday

With plumbing, sometimes its best to keep it simple.

How is one tap with a hot and cold selector indoors going to work in practice? You will be forever contending with a squirming, uncooperative dog, whilst constantly running inside to change the 'selector' from hot to cold and vice versa.

As said before, just add a second hot outside tap. Make sure you have the appropriate check valve fitted, as well as in internal isolation valve for when the weather turns arctic.

Simples!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back