Outside tap isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be fitting an outside tap, and was wondering what sort of isolator would be best to use to turn the tap off from inside during the depths of winter, or in the event of a burst pipe or failed joint.

I presume the choice is between an isolating valve
p1066545_l.jpg

and a traditional stop cock.
p1073343_l.jpg

Which would be best suited to this application?

Ta in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I tend to prefer these for the application in question:

p1086816_l.jpg

because they're (a) full bore and (b) quick and easy to operate.

Sponsored Links
OOI, is there any difference in reliability/likely to jam or fail after years of disuse?

I thought so but recently other experts on here now state that this is not allowed due to water regs and that it has to be a seperate valve. I do noy know personally.

Boxbasher might be able to inform us better ;)

gas4you said:
I thought so but recently other experts on here now state that this is not allowed due to water regs and that it has to be a seperate valve. I do noy know personally.

Boxbasher might be able to inform us better ;)

Have a peek at this post

Bib taps incorporating check valves are for retro-fit. New installations require a servicing valve and double check valve inside (which is better as there are less freezable/breakable bits outside)

Wow, never new that. It's amazing what you learn on this here forum :)

Is there such a thing as a combined isolater and check valve?

Thanks to all for the pointers :D

I got the tap done today, and just to prove that your advice is not wasted on these forums, here is the lever valve Softus recommended, and the internal double check valve. :D

IMGP2143.jpg

Good for you RF. And is that 6mm bonding I see before me?

Softus said:
Good for you RF. And is that 6mm bonding I see before me?

Dont forget that out side taps MUST be isolated from any internal earth bonnding as they are outside the equipotential zone ;) Easiest way is to fit a plastic coupling as near the wall as poss.

gas4you said:
Dont forget that out side taps MUST be isolated from any internal earth bonnding as they are outside the equipotential zone ;) Easiest way is to fit a plastic coupling as near the wall as poss.
This doesn't quite make sense to me - what's the difference between an incoming gas, or mains water, pipe and the pipe 'from' the outside tap? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back