Pipe for outside tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was mixing some plaster outside late last week using my outside tap and forgot to turn the inside valve off to isolate the external pipework, as a result the pipe burst.

Just wondering what to replace the pipe with? is it your bog standard 15mm copper or something else, I currently have a copper pipe with a blue sort of coating on it

Sponsored Links
I usually use the plastic barrier pipe for this, but a drain down facility is the only sure way to prevent bursting!
John :)

May just use a double check valve and cut out the section of affected pipework, though the likelyhood of waste water being able to get into a tap 5 foot up a wall when I live on a hill is quite low :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Actually if your on a hill it makes it more likely that you will have drops in mains pressure and therefore a higher risk of back siphonage, hence double check valve.......they are usually built into the taps these days

Actually if your on a hill it makes it more likely that you will have drops in mains pressure and therefore a higher risk of back siphonage, hence double check valve.......they are usually built into the taps these days

to comply with water regs the double check valve needs to be inside

So, call the water board and they'll come and cut off your supply.

only a new install.
but i do agree with you far better inside.

I seem to remember being told that the water board can actually get the police to force entry into a property if they think there is something contravening the water regs.

So you better hope that all your hot water pipes run above your cold ones and that all your ball valves have isolators on them.

Ted

I seem to remember being told that the water board can actually get the police to force entry into a property if they think there is something contravening the water regs.

So you better hope that all your hot water pipes run above your cold ones and that all your ball valves have isolators on them.

Ted
thats 9/10 houses then.

I would say more like 99% of houses have something in them that is against the regs.

see it every day by not being a grass i'm not bothered.
even i have broke regs in my own home but who cares. :rolleyes:

Excatly.

Some of it just goes too far. As long as the shower head can't fall into to the toilet then who cares :)

Ted

Excatly.

Some of it just goes too far. As long as the shower head can't fall into to the toilet then who cares :)

Ted

i agree some do go to far but then sometimes you see the result when they are not followed.
long as its not a danger to the public etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back