No isolator valve outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an outside tap fitted in summer to my new build. The chap didn’t fit a valve on the inside to cut off the water to the tap. When I questioned him he said it wasn’t needed.
Should he have fitted one? There is a copper length through the cavity which joins the plastic pipe to my mains pipe.
With the cold snap I remembered this and now worried about pipes bursting. I have added a thermal bag outside on the tap.

Sponsored Links
Should he have fitted one?
Yes, it’s against the law/water regulations not to. Utter tosh that it’s not needed. It’s also you as the homeowner who can be in trouble for not having one fitted, as well as the installer.

Sponsored Links
It's pretty easy to fit one. I use full-bore Pegler ball valves, which are much more durable and less likely to leak than the 80p cheapos many builders use. The ones with a lever are easiest to use, especially if you are weak, frail or arthritic, but the T handle looks better. You can turn either off with your fingers, no tool required. So I can easily turn mine on and off wen washing the car ir watering the garden

If hiding it is more important than functionality, you can get the type turned with a large screwdriver.

The normal cheap cr@p ones also have a tiny bore, which you don't want for a garden tap. Make sure it's a "full bore" type regardless of the handle. Don't forget if it's visible/ugly you can take the handle off. A small spanner will serve if you lose it.
Water regs require a check valve, but see if it's incorporated in the outside tap, they often are now. They make it harder to drain the bit of pipe feeding the tap, though, water won't fall through them.

It needs a separate check valve for a new install.
Really?
Why's that?
So what's the point of these?

Or these:

I checked the regs and don't see it, unless people say it has to be separate to allow draining. In which case you could fit a small DOC.

The screw in the middle of a DCV does not, despite what some people think, allow draining.

Edit: I checked the book and it says inside the building so you're right:
1705613326779.png

Last edited:
The ones with check valves in the outside tap itself can only be used as replacements for existing taps. They may not be used for new installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back