Outside Tap Replacement

Sponsored Links
Its as complicated as you want to make it but if you are not at ease with replacing 2 bits of plastic pipe then yes employment of a plumber is the way forward.
I can replace bits of plastic pipe outside, but thats not really a great permanent fix, just like for like replacement. Anything inside I'll need to get someone in as the copper pipe will need a bend and joint after it comes form the outside in behind the dishwasher.

Plastic is fine, no need to replace it for copper through the wall just for the sake of it.
What is it I need to attached to the plastic pipe as it comes out the wall? I would like to basically have a connection there and then fit a tap to that doing away with plastic pipe outside, if that makes sense

I would like do basically have a connection there and then fit a tap to that doing away with plastic pipe outside, if that makes sense
That is a bit more involved and will need a new pipe through the wall.

Sponsored Links
That is a bit more involved and will need a new pipe through the wall.

Yeah thats the part I am trying to aviod if doing this myself. If that is the best way I will need to get a plumber in, remove the dishwasher, bring that copper in, joint and bend as it comes in to teh house.

I was hoping there was a connection like on the end of that part you have shown, that I could attached to the existing plastic piece that comes out the wall, but I guess that doesn't exist.

Is there anyway to have something better than the outside little piece of plastic pipe, that doesn't involve a new piece of copper into the house?

Last edited:
You can just replace that short section of plastic, (with 15mm copper), that runs from the copper elbow to the base of the tap.
Once it's insulated adequately there will be little danger of any of the pipework freezing unless we have a severe frost.
You will still need to isolate behind the dishwasher first though.

You can just replace that short section of plastic, (with 15mm copper), that runs from the copper elbow to the base of the tap.
Once it's insulated adequately there will be little danger of any of the pipework freezing unless we have a severe frost.
You will still need to isolate behind the dishwasher first though.
I can isolate under the sink thats where the value is I spoke about earlier, I just cant get access directly where the pipe comes through the wall.

Thanks for the info so options are...

1. like for like replacement with the short outside plastic pipe as it is now. (DIY way)
2. swap the short outside plastic pipe sections for copper, same as now but with short copper basically (DIY way)
3. remove the dishwasher, replace plastic pipes from the hole with the hose union back plate and pipe, and connect into the exiting pipework (plumber needed), fit double check non return valves if none in the maze of pipe work there already.

Thanks for all the comments...in summary without using a hose union back plate and pipe, you need to have it set up as I currently have, there is no such attachment that will fit to the end out the plastic pipe coming out the wall that fits a tap directly too it like the union set up. Is there a reason for that at all, or just simply thats the way it should be done in the first place.

Option 2 is the easiest and, so long as you lag the tap and exposed pipework, you should have no problems with freezing. As an added precaution you could put some lagging around the internal pipework, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Nothing leaking...there seems to be PTFE tape on most joins similar to that, the day may come when we have to look at re doing under the sink but not at that stage yet.

If the best soloution is to replace with copper from after the value in the sketch, I will have to get someone in and get the dishwasher removed, as no way to get a copper pipe in without access behind the dishwasher
If nothing is leaking then there’s nothing to repair?

Option 2 is the easiest and, so long as you lag the tap and exposed pipework, you should have no problems with freezing. As an added precaution you could put some lagging around the internal pipework, but I don't think it will be necessary.
:) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back