isolator valve to outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a feed to an outside tap which branches off about 1m after the kitchen stop tap. The pipe its on feeds the kitchen sink.
The pipe to the outside tap is about 20 cm long.

It is an old house so I suspect it is not up to water regs standard.
A surveyor mentioned i need an isolator valve to the outside tap.

Is this crucial? I don't know the reason why it would be needed as i am ignorant on plumbing issues.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this crucial? I don't know the reason why it would be needed as i am ignorant on plumbing issues.

Isolator - to allow the outside tap to be drained in cold weather, or shut off in the event of a pipe burst.

Double check valve - to prevent possible back-syphonage into the mains if a garden hose is left connected, etc.

Forgot to mention, if space is tight you can buy a bib tap with a double check valve built in, so you only need the isolator inside.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention, if space is tight you can buy a bib tap with a double check valve built in, so you only need the isolator inside.

thanks.

the space inside is tight.

but the problem with a potential frost would still be there?

The isolator should be inside the house.

When there's a frost risk, you close the isolator and leave the outside tap open, this should prevent any frost damage.

Any outside pipework and preferably the tap itself should be insulated.

It's a good idea to get an isolator with a lever rather than just a screwdriver slot.

Hope that clarifies things :)

These are no longer legal under the water regulations. The double check valve needs to be inside as well.

Not many people are aware. Because the bib taps with the integral DC valve are still sold they assume that it's okay to fit them. There's a lot of kitchen sink mixers sold that don't comply with the water regs as well.

They can be fitted as a replacement for an existing one that was fitted when they were allowed ;)

Not many people are aware. Because the bib taps with the integral DC valve are still sold they assume that it's okay to fit them. There's a lot of kitchen sink mixers sold that don't comply with the water regs as well.

As I'm a bit out of date, could you recommend any concise (and hopefully not too expensive) publications that would give me an overview of the latest standards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back