Outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put an outside tap on my house in the summer but now get the feeling i did it wrong. I have used copper pipe and a brass tap and am fearing the freeze bursting the pipe. Any advise.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Thing is i only have about 3 inches of pipe to fit a valve. Do you think that'll be enough.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Was looking at a set in b'n'q which has a kind of clamp thing which bores a hole in the pipe on a hand turn and has a flexible pipe going to the outside. Has anyone used this and have they had any bother with it?

they are a load of rubbish the pipe splits, the self tapping they always leak, and the internal bore of the hose is only about 8mm compaired with 15mm copper.

they have no drain off point, outside check valve. no sleeve for the pipe through the wall.

Travis Perkins do an outside tap kit which has the bib tap, wall plate on 18" length of copper, isolating valve, compression elbow, compression tee, PTFE tape, and double check valve to comply with water regulations. Complete kit about £12-£13.

Was looking at a set in b'n'q which has a kind of clamp thing which bores a hole in the pipe on a hand turn and has a flexible pipe going to the outside. Has anyone used this and have they had any bother with it?

They only cut a small hole in the supply pipe so you get a very poor flow. :(

Don't bother!

Tee into the supply properly.

Travis Perkins do an outside tap kit which has the bib tap, wall plate on 18" length of copper, isolating valve, compression elbow, compression tee, PTFE tape, and double check valve to comply with water regulations. Complete kit about £12-£13.

do they no wonder i haven't fitted any this summer. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back