Outside tap... upside down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just replaced my outside tap with an identical one (well, i thought it was) and when I fit it into the thread it ends up upside down. I solved the problem by adding washers onto the thread, but is there a proper way of solving this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
start at a different angle...

never mind, lockie tape can be turned back with out leaking

Tried all the angles under the sun! The threads only have one start point on both the tap and the pipework.

Sponsored Links
The threaded fittings are designed for sealing in the threads not with a washer at the end. You just wrap PTFE tape around so it's thicker towards the back so it starts to tighten - you sometimes need a couple of goes to get the right thickness with the tap where you want it to finish.
In the old days it was hemp (string !!).

Hear, hear wiggikins the old stuff always works the best in these situations. I've got a hank of hemp must be 30 years old & still comes in handy for jobs like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back