Outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted an outside tap. When I screwed in the outside tap I ensured that I had placed some tape on the thread. Everything was watertight. Now, some 2 day after doing so, the outer brass casing of the tap has split and water is leaking. Can this have been caused by the tape?

Sponsored Links
Tape doesnt split taps, perhaps you overtightened it while screwing it in and split the casing?

Denis - Where has it split - the threaded boss or on the main body? You've either given it too much welly when tightening up or you bought the beast in B&Q and paid a couple of quid for it - probably a combination of the 2. Problem is that using 'unbranded' tackle (often made in the gulags of China) doesn't guarantee quality. We always like to use a wrap of hemp & jointing compound when fitting bib cocks as it's easier to get the final positioning correct without giving it the extra welly to take-up that last 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Doing it this way means that the cheapo stuff can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back