Outside Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There - Im pretty new to electrics but want to avoid the cost !

Ive fitted some outside lights and a pump for the pond. I want to just use a switch at the end of my decking to turn the pump on and off. Ive bought an outside 1 gang 2 way switch.

It has L1 & L2 at the top (On the back of the switch) and L1 at the bottom.

To make this simple for me could anyone tell me which colour from the pump i put in which hole (ie the blue and brown (Im ok with the green lol) and which hole i put the red and black from the incoming power supply ?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Where are you getting the incoming power supply from?

PJ

To make this simple for me could anyone tell me which colour from the pump i put in which hole (ie the blue and brown (Im ok with the green lol) and which hole i put the red and black from the incoming power supply ?
So you think that a winning strategy for dealing with lethal voltages outside, is that you should fiddle away with no understanding whatsoever, and to blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole, without having a clue as to why?

I don't think so.

Here is the simplest answer you actually need:

Sponsored Links
So you think that a winning strategy for dealing with lethal voltages outside, is that you should fiddle away with no understanding whatsoever, and to blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole, without having a clue as to why?

I don't think so.

Here is the simplest answer you actually need:

ban-all-sheds I really think your attitude sucks. The person is asking how to do something. What's wrong with that? It's the whole purpose of the forum isn't it?
It's people like you who put off people asking anything at all.

Whilst BAS's replies may be perceived as being huniliating, there is great deal of sense and safety in what he says.

In this instance we know nothing about the exact situation of the OP. Where is the power coming from, what are it protective devices, are they suitable for the cable etc. etc.

Its not even clear whether the lights and or pump are ELV, SELV AC or DC.

Without this information from the OP how can any forum member give accurate safe advice?

All these questions - and much other relevant information - is in the links that BAS quotes.

Whilst BAS's replies may be perceived as being huniliating, there is great deal of sense and safety in what he says.
There is. However, what there is not 'a great deal of' (if any!) is realism. If BAS seriously believes that someone coming to a forum to ask how to connect a switch is going to delay installing the switch for a few months (or more) whilst (s)he undertakes studies, and (in many cases) acquire a collection of test equipment, then he simply is not living on the same planet as me. Responses such as we are discussing may well be satisfying to BAS's feeling of 'public duty' and conscience but I really don't believe that they hardly ever have any effect on what the OP actually does.

If, as is quite common, we do not believe (from what (s)he has said/asked) that a poster is competent/safe to do what they propose, we can either tell them that, or at least decline to answer their question ('encourage them').

There is always going to be a problem/dilemma with a forum like this, since it can easily be argued that anyone who needs to ask a simple/basic electrical question (and many of then are very 'simple/basic') is not knowledgeable or competent enough to be doing electrical work - and hence that simply 'answering their basic question' (rather than telling them to go off and acquire knowledge/'training') is not appropriate.

Kind Regards, John

ban-all-sheds I really think your attitude sucks.
You may not be surprised to learn that IDGAS what you think.

The person is asking how to do something. What's wrong with that?
It's what he is asking for which is wrong.

That is so NOT the way to tackle electrical work, and I will never, ever, EVER agree that anything less than a full and genuine understanding of what you're doing is acceptable.

It's the whole purpose of the forum isn't it?
The purpose of the forum is to enable people to carry out DIY by imparting and improving knowledge. The information I posted was enabling.

It's people like you who put off people asking anything at all.
And it's people like you who promote the idea that it's OK for someone to fiddle with electrics even though they don't know what they are doing.

There is. However, what there is not 'a great deal of' (if any!) is realism. If BAS seriously believes that someone coming to a forum to ask how to connect a switch is going to delay installing the switch for a few months (or more) whilst (s)he undertakes studies, and (in many cases) acquire a collection of test equipment, then he simply is not living on the same planet as me.
Then it is you who is on the wrong one.

Responses such as we are discussing may well be satisfying to BAS's feeling of 'public duty' and conscience but I really don't believe that they hardly ever have any effect on what the OP actually does.
Their failing.

If, as is quite common, we do not believe (from what (s)he has said/asked) that a poster is competent/safe to do what they propose, we can either tell them that, or at least decline to answer their question ('encourage them').
Or we can enable them becoming competent.

There is always going to be a problem/dilemma with a forum like this, since it can easily be argued that anyone who needs to ask a simple/basic electrical question (and many of then are very 'simple/basic') is not knowledgeable or competent enough to be doing electrical work - and hence that simply 'answering their basic question' (rather than telling them to go off and acquire knowledge/'training') is not appropriate.
No - no dilemma at all. If it's not appropriate, you don't do it, and that's all there is.

...If BAS seriously believes that someone coming to a forum to ask how to connect a switch is going to delay installing the switch for a few months (or more) whilst (s)he undertakes studies, and (in many cases) acquire a collection of test equipment, then he simply is not living on the same planet as me.
Then it is you who is on the wrong one.
I am, uncharacteristically, at a total loss to know how to respond to that!
No - no dilemma at all. If it's not appropriate, you don't do it, and that's all there is.
Of course there's a dilemma - unless you feel that the whole concept of the forum should be changed to something which would soon result in very few people coming here to ask for advice. If you take the view that it's inappropriate to give an answer to any simple question posed (on the basis that anyone who needs to ask a simple question is not competent to undertake electric work), then very few forum members would ever be given any answers, but would merely be told how they could be educated in relation to electrical matters and acquire testing equipment. That is not, I feel sure, the way that those who set up and run this forum would want things to be - so, if that's what you think it should be, maybe you're participating in the wrong forum?

Kind Regards, John

Of course there's a dilemma - unless you feel that the whole concept of the forum should be changed to something which would soon result in very few people coming here to ask for advice.
Only those who don't want the right advice.

If you take the view that it's inappropriate to give an answer to any simple question posed (on the basis that anyone who needs to ask a simple question is not competent to undertake electric work), then very few forum members would ever be given any answers, but would merely be told how they could be educated in relation to electrical matters and acquire testing equipment.
If that's the appropriate answer, why should they not be given it?

Why are you so keen on giving people inappropriate answers?

That is not, I feel sure, the way that those who set up and run this forum would want things to be
Then they are misguided.

- so, if that's what you think it should be, maybe you're participating in the wrong forum?
Not I.

If you take the view that it's inappropriate to give an answer to any simple question posed (on the basis that anyone who needs to ask a simple question is not competent to undertake electric work), then very few forum members would ever be given any answers, but would merely be told how they could be educated in relation to electrical matters and acquire testing equipment.
If that's the appropriate answer, why should they not be given it? Why are you so keen on giving people inappropriate answers?
What I'm keen on is that the forum should not reduce to being a farce. If the consensus were that anyone who needs to ask a question here should merely be told what they need to do in terms of reading and acquistion of equipment in order to become competent to undertake electrical work, then we should replace the forum with a page which gives that answer/information, and stop pretending that it's a place where people can ask questions and expect to get specific answers.

Kind Regards, John

It has L1 & L2 at the top (On the back of the switch) and L1 at the bottom.
Cheers :)
Are you sure about those markings? You have described a switch with three terminals with two of them marked L1. It sounds like a 2 way switch but they do not have two L1 terminals.

What I'm keen on is that the forum should not reduce to being a farce.
I'm keen on it not fostering the belief that it is in any way acceptable to undertake electrical work except on the basis of a full and genuine understanding.

Why are you so keen that that belief should be encouraged?

If the consensus were that anyone who needs to ask a question here should merely be told what they need to do in terms of reading and acquistion of equipment in order to become competent to undertake electrical work, then we should replace the forum with a page which gives that answer/information,
Not anyone/everyone, only some.

And if you don't want people to be given information except via Q&A, can we look forward to you editing the Wiki pages out of existence?

and stop pretending that it's a place where people can ask questions and expect to get specific answers.
I gave the OP answers.

And if you don't want people to be given information except via Q&A, can we look forward to you editing the Wiki pages out of existence?
....talking of which, you might at least consider putting all your excellent advice about how people can acquire the necessary "full and genuine understanding", and equipment, necessary for them to be competent to undertake any electrical work (including your extensive lists of reading material and recommended test equipment) into the Wiki and directing people to it, rather than pasting it into forum posts so frequently? I'm sure this has been suggested before, but you don't seem to have acted upon it yet.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back