Outuilding renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outbuilding which was a pair of single garages with a hallway between them. A previous owner has gone some way towards converting the building to living accommodation. Bricked up the garage doors, insulated the roof (mostly), plastered one garage out and 2 walls on the other, wired but no fittings, kitchen units but no water or drainage.

What work has been done seems OK but spoiled by complete lack of attention to damp affecting the building. My objective is to make one garage a utility room, the other a workshop and there is a loft which would make a man-cave (but later!)

I have installed guttering and cleared mud and rubbish built up against the walls. It is now drying out. Ventilation is not good (a large single double glassed window, non opening, in each garage). I have installed a trickle vent in one but have failed in the other (metal reinforcing that my drill is not powerful enough to drill). The only other ventilation is a door into the hall from outside. I need to resolve this to improve ventilation.

I have installed water and a drain to the building. Also re-wired for power and light - both now working.

I have cleared the utility room. The room will contain a washing machine, fridge, freezer and kitchen unit with sink plus some storage. Maybe a dryer at a future date.

Work to be done is filling of old sockets and cable runs. Paint the walls and ceiling (ceiling and 2 walls are "new" plaster). I have cleaned up the original concrete floor and am unsure how to progress them.

Should I a. Screed with a DPM (poly sheet) then paint. b. just paint. or something else ? The floor is concrete and as far as I can tell is a continuation of a large apron outside of the garage. Until I do this I can't get the sink unit, water & drainage done.

Sorry this is long mostly intro stuff. Future update will be shorter.

Sponsored Links
I have made some progress. The issues with the floor in the "utility" room have been resolved. The original floor was painted with a damp proof coating and a 50cm screed laid. So that now sits for a week before I can continue to work in the room. I won't be able to paint it for at least a month
The old wiring runs and unused power socket holes all filled ready to rub down.
I have decided to improve the ventilation by installing an air brick in opposite walls . I am awaiting tools on order to do that but not a problem as I can't start yet.

A potential problem with the water pipe has been resolved. So all looking good but not much will happen now until towards the end of the year. Until this room is finished I can't do much more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back