Oven and hob please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im new to this forum!
Im buying replacement electric oven and gas hob built in to kitchen.
Its simply going to fit in existing place.
My query is do i need corgi reg engineer to fit either or both and probable cost, or can I?

Thanks in advance

Ant

Sponsored Links
Gas hob ... Yes, Corgi bod required.
Regarding the oven, it really depends what the power rating is and whether you've already got a suitable socket in place.
If its 2.8Kw or less and you already have a suitable 13A socket on the wall ... Plug it in yourself, if it's higher or you have no existing socket to plug it into then you cannot do it. The Corgi bod would be able to do it if he's able to certify his work.
As you say they are replacements for existing appliances you should be lucky (unless the old stuff was corrected badly) :LOL:
Always a good idea to have someone check the installation whilst you've got access.

Thanks for the reply!
I do have existing oven switch but must check the amp! As the oven is 3kw is 13amp sufficient?

megawatt said:
Gas hob ... Yes, Corgi bod required.
Shall we start that debate up? Maybe not, but there is no law compelling AntJ to use a CORGI registered installer - DIY installation of the gas hob, if he is competent to do it, is not illegal.

divider.gif

AntJ said:
Thanks for the reply!
I do have existing oven switch but must check the amp! As the oven is 3kw is 13amp sufficient?
A 13A plug/socket, or FCU is fine for a 3kW oven. If your "oven switch" is one of the traditional, large-ish cooker switches then it will be rated at a lot more than that anyway..

Sponsored Links
Installation of new gas appliance requires notification to building regs folk, normally done by corgi wallah, for which he has to pay.
By the way a hob must be on fixed copper pipe, not a hose.

ChrisR said:
Installation of new gas appliance requires notification to building regs folk, normally done by corgi wallah, for which he has to pay.
Only boilers.

ChrisR said:
By the way a hob must be on fixed copper pipe, not a hose.
Manufacturers can override that in their installation instructions and specify the use of a flexible hose, bayonet connector etc etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back