oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like a pratt the other day i managed to shatter the glass on the oven door. anyway it was the wifes excuse to go and get a new one.
I now think i may have a problem. i have a 30amp fuse and the hob is connected to it, the old oven has a plug on it and is plugged into a socket (i actually think this socket is tapped into the 30amp cable) So effectivly the old cooker and hob are on the same circuit. Yes there is big red switch that controls the lot. The new oven on the other hand im not to sure about. the instructions say.
This oven must be earthed (pretty obvious that one) But it says.
connection via cooker control unit, min cable size2,5mm square cable type pvc twin and earth fuse min 15a max 20a
im now assuming i cant fit a plug to it and it has to be hard wired in?
so the questions are.
1, is my assumption correct
2, if this is the case can the oven be looped into the same 30 amp as the hob? or will i need to have another cable fitted? if so this will mean i will possibly need a new consumer unit.
Its a single multifunction oven energy consuption is 0.79kWh

it can be found here
http://www.johnlewis.com/230473545/Product.aspx

it also says you should install a double pole switch between the oven and the electricity supply.

ok had another look and it looks like.
30amp----> double pole switch--------->hob
but im sure the the sockets tapped into it so it would look more like.

30amp------>double pole switch--------->socket>----------->hob
plug>--------> old oven
in which case would i get away with

30amp ------> double pole switch---------splitter or another switch--->hob
-->oven
and before you ask no im not going to do anything more than fit a plug to something.
thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Your assumption was correct, you cannot fit a plug to it.
Your first oven was probably a single oven, the new probably a double.
As long as the 30amp supply has been wired with the correct cable, you can connect both oven & hob to it.

nope new oven is still single oven. as per specs on jl website but yep i do have 30A

so
30a-------->double pole-----------hob
------------oven

Sponsored Links
have a look at the rating plate on the oven if its not on the back it will be inside the door forget the rating on the link you posted tell us what is on the plate it should be ok to isolate both from the dp switch
is the hob electric or gas with electric ignition

providing the supply cable is adequate you can use the same isolater to control two appliances as long as each appliance is within 2meters
witch it is

Thanks Jockspark.
the cable feeding the isolater is a big fat one and we only ever use 1 hob plate and the oven at the same time i probaly draw more using the light in the kitchen coz they hold 5 halogens each and theres 2 of em.
thanks for the reply though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back