Oven circuit MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In brief: my house has an oven circuit with a 6mm cable and a 20 amp MCB. Both the electric hob (6.5 kW) and oven (2.8 kW) are on this circuit. Can I upgrade the MCB to stop it tripping?

Background: We moved in to the house a couple of years ago. The built in oven was slow to heat up so I did a like-for-like replacement, but now the oven circuit trips if the oven is on at the same time as two or three hobs. It turns out it's only got a 20 amp MCB. I now realise it didn't have this problem previously because only one of the three elements of the old oven was working, so it didn't draw much power.

I don't know why the circuit only has a 20 amp MCB. I suspect there used to be a gas hob with an electric oven, and at some stage the hob was replaced with an electric one but the circuit wasn't modified.

I've been told that because there's a 6 mm cable I might be able to replace the MCB to stop it tripping as easily. Is that right, and if so, how high can I safely go? 30 amp? 45 amp etc? I don't know how long the cable is, but I guess not very long as the consumer unit is just outside the kitchen. The oven is 2.8 kW and the hob is 6.5 kW, so a total of 9.3 kW.

Long term we plan to redo the kitchen and sort out the wiring at the same time. I'm looking for a safe, functional, interim measure in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
The standard cooker circuit is 30 or 32A, wired in 6 milli.
9.3kW is 40.43A but diversity is allowed on a cooker circuit, so 32A is fine.

However, what make and model is your board? You may find it difficult to get a matching breaker.

Thanks securespark. It's a Wylex consumer unit although I can't see the model. I don't think the same MCB is still available now but Screwfix etc sell Wylex MCBs with the same pins. I trust that's okay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back