Oven & Hob Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly going to be fitting a new kitchen, and have a few queries about the wiring.

At the moment I have a cooker radial connected with 6mm via a 30A MCB. Off this I have a ceramic hob rated at 5.5kW, a single oven rated at 2.3kW and also have a 3kW kettle plugged into the cooker point.

I'm aware that the theoretical total load of the above appliances comes to 47A however applying diversity the load is (just) within limits of the MCB. I've lived here two years and have never had it trip so can only assume that the load is ok.

I'd like to leave the kettle plugged into the cooker point, as I don't have any spare mains sockets where this is and don't particularly want any more. As such I'm looking at the following options:

1) leave things as-is
2) connect the oven to the ring main via a 13A switched FCU
3) install a new radial for the oven

What do people reckon is the best option?

As an aside, I've noticed single ovens rated at 13A generally come with flex attached that can be wired via a 13A plug if required. Is it considered acceptable practice to wire such ovens into the CCU?

I've seen several installations where this has been done, however working on the assumption the flex is only rated to 13A or slightly higher, shouldn't this be fused rather than connected directly to 30A MCB? Or can one assume that the maximum load the oven can draw is below 13A therefore the flex will be safe?

Sponsored Links
5.5KW + 2.3KW = 7.8KW

= 32.5A ( @ 240V )

32.5-10A = 22.5A

22.5A x 0.3= 6.75A

6.75A + 15A ( 10 +5 FOR SOCKET ) = 21.75A.... well within the 30A..

leave it as is..

if you're concerned about fusing down for the oven, you could always do this at the cooker outlet..

View media item 10929 View media item 10930where the single socket front can be substituted for a fused spur if you prefer the hardwiring approach..

Thanks for your reply.

I know diversity allows 5A for a socket on a CCU however I have a 3kW kettle plugged in therefore was assuming I should allow 13A in any calculations. Even so it's still within the 30A limits I guess.

I've already got a FCU sat at the side of the cooker outlet :D just wondered what other peoples views were on wiring direct to the outlet.

Out of interest, what's the depth of that dry lining box pictured? I didn't know you could get twin dry lining boxes, let alone ones deep enough for cooker wiring!

Sponsored Links
What do people reckon is the best option?
While it is acceptable to leave it as it is, you mention a shortage of sockets. It might be worth considering a new dedicated kitchen radial/ring main to add extra sockets now while you have easy access to the walls and no cupboards in the way.

If you're happy that you already have enough sockets then leave it as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back