Oven relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redesigning my kitchen and would like to move the oven housing a few centimetres from where it is now. The supply is 6mm sq. T+E protected by a 32A MCB and runs a few cm to the side of where the present oven housing is. The new oven is rated at 7.2Kw and the supply will be dedicated to it so as things stand, I think the supply will be adequate.

The cable drops down from the ceiling and is buried in a plastered wall for the final 1.2m of its run. What concerns me is that if I go ahead with the new layout, the edge of the oven housing will be directly over where the cable drops down and even though is will be under plaster, it will be much nearer the heat. I want the cooker control unit located in the neighbouring cupboard so the cable will need to emerge from behind the plaster in the vicinity of the oven, about halfway up the oven where I assume it will be hotter.

Will there be a problem with this set up and if so, what would need to be done? I should also add that for unrelated reasons, this run of cupboards will be set forward by about 3cm so there will be additional clearance at the back of the oven.

Sponsored Links
The cable shouldnt suffer from heat buried in plaster.

Fropm your description, though, your major problem is that you have got the 6mm cable running down the wall but with absolutely nothing to indicate that it is there!

The cable should go down the wall and into the (visible) cooker control unit, which must be within 2metres of the appliance, then on to the connection box.

I thought that, but after reading the post several times I think he means cooker connection unit, since he mentions it being halfway up behind the cooker..

the cooker switch should be above the counter and visible, and within 2m of the cooker it is controlling..

I thought that, but after reading the post several times I think he means cooker connection unit, since he mentions it being halfway up behind the cooker..

the cooker switch should be above the counter and visible, and within 2m of the cooker it is controlling..

Thanks guys for the replies but I really did mean the cooker control unit. What I didn't realise was that it had to be visible so wasn't allowed in a cupboard. Also, I may not have made clear that I was also concerned about the short length of exposed cable bridging the gap between wall and cupboard at mid oven height so close to the oven. Had installation in a cupboard been permitted I suppose the presence of the buried cable would have been given away by its entry into the back of the cupboard.

Sponsored Links
As an alternative to installing the CCU in a cupboard, would the following be safe? (As before, I am concerned with heat affecting - and downgrading - the 32A supply to an oven rated at 7.2Kw.)

There will be a counter well within 2M of the oven - in fact right next to it - but it will be on the other side of the oven. The cooker connection unit would be located here so presumably that's OK. This wall will be a false wall with approx 20mm void and so cables running along the real wall to the CCU will make for the easiest install.

As a reminder, the existing cooker control unit is smack in line with where the edge of the oven housing will be and at mid oven height. Could this unit be replaced by a cooker connection unit to bring the cable to the surface? The cable would then be 2 or 3 inches away from the edge of the oven and could be clipped in a U-shape under the oven to the repositioned cooker connection unit. Would the cooker connection unit be affected by heat in this kind of location? These may be stupid questions but the trouble is I have no feel for how hot it gets behind an oven!

Thanks for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back