Cooker cabling note suggestion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

As part of my kitchen install, my elecrician has insisted that I must fit flexiable heat resistant cable between the oven cable connection plate and the oven

I have run a 6mm cable from the CU to a 45A oven switch then 6mm from the oven switch to the oven cable connection plate. Unfortunately, I have only been able to source 4mm cable in a short length of the flexible cable he requires.

The oven is to be a 7.2KW double oven so I presume 4mm will be acceptable. I propose to stick a sticker on the 4mm flexiable cable that says the following:-

" This particular cable is 4mm2. The cable from the Consumer Unit to the oven switch is 6mm and the cable from the Oven Switch to the oven cable connection plate is 6mm. In the event that an oven with power requirements above 7.2KW is installed, this particular cable shall require upgrading in size. A higher rating MCB may also be required in the Consumer Unit"

Please tell me whether you consider the above text seems appropriate. I am aware there has been some debate about the requirement for the said flexiable cable, but as he has specifically instisted I fit it, I don't wish to say there is a debate as to whether it is required or not!!!

Kind Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with a note!

As long as the breaker is 32A then just put the 4mm² flex in, anyone replacing the cooker will see the cable size!

I wouldn't bother with a note!

As long as the breaker is 32A then just put the 4mm² flex in, anyone replacing the cooker will see the cable size!

Yeah Adam thanks for the quick response. I understand what you have said, but the sparky came across as absoultely by the book (which I am sure you would agree is the only way) type of fellow but he has allowed me to do the 'donkey work' myself. I just want to demonstrate to him that there is a definative thought process behind what I've done.

That aside Adam, would you consider the note fit for purpose?

Please think about what you are suggesting.

The cable is heat resisting so it doesnt catch fire, what about the material that your note is made of????

If that touches the back of your cooker then you've got blues and twos at your front door!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks as I had not thought of that!!!!!! How about if the note was stuck to the wall adjacent to the plate or, amended slighlt and stuck on the plate itself???

What size protective device and what is the current rating of your heat resistant flex cable?

If its really bothering you, then make a note on the circuit schedule thats next to to the CU

Never mind all this lobbocks, guys!

What does it say in the instructions about what cable type can be used??

While heat resisting cable is "good" it really isn't necessary if the place it is use is not going to get hot.

On older electric ovens there was often a vent at the back where hot air from inside the casing escaped and the cable would need to be dressed ( fixed ) to be clear of that hot air. Modern oven most frequently vent excess heat to the front of the appliance, together with better thermal insulation around the cavity ( the food area ) this means there is no heat build up behind the oven.

If that is the case with your oven then heat resisting cable is probably not necessary.

Word of caution, some type of heat resistant cable are not good at resisting damage by crushing between appliance and wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back