oven sockets confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

long time lurker on the forum but my first post so be gentle.

our house I'd "new build" barratt homes built in around 2008 and we are due to have a new kitchen fitted and as part of we are ordering new appliances.

currently our kitchen has a 13a plug in oven and a separate gas hob with the electric ignition connected to the same 2 gang socket . which is located in the cupboard next to the oven.

this socket is on a different circuit to the rest of the kitchens sockets and has a 32amp switch on the breaker. along with a on/off switch located above the worktops.

we really want to switch to an induction hob which requires hard wiring and the new oven we like still had a13a plug.
my question is. what do I need an electrician to do in order to safely connect both of these units into what is currently a 2 gang plug on this dedicated circuit?

TLDR: need new oven and hob on same socket but currently a 2 gang plug on own 32amp breaker.

thank you everyone in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Assuming the feed is 4 or 6mm cable you or the electrician can change the twin socket for a duel outlet plate, 1 side feeding a single socket for your oven and the other side feeding your new hob.

A 32A circuit that only feeds the cooker position was quite likely intended for an electric cooker. But if needs looking at to make sure.

Show us the switch and the socket please

The socket hidden in a cupboard - how high above the floor is it?

Assuming the feed is 4 or 6mm cable you or the electrician can change the twin socket for a duel outlet plate, 1 side feeding a single socket for your oven and the other side feeding your new hob.
But do consider any installation instructions about maximum overcurrent protection device. Manufacturers can and will refuse repair if the failure is due to lack of correct protection.

Sponsored Links
thank you for the reply :) photo of the socket attached. just just like any other socket in the house, but the breaker is independent to all the others, its a 32amp switch on the breaker labeled simply as "cooker"

does anyone have an example of what one of those dual outlet plates look like?

Attachments

• 20240217_204048.jpg
    20240217_204048.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240217_220724.jpg
    20240217_220724.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240217_220714.jpg
    20240217_220714.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 36
The socket looks to me like it has been fixed to the hardboard back of the cabinet. Most likely there is (or was) a proper cooker outlet in the wall behind it. If it was me I would cut an access hole in the cabinet back and fix to the wall.

The switch looks to me like a 20A one, but there are 30A switches of the same size. Cooker switches and outlets usually have extra-deep backboxes because the wiring is thick and stiff and difficult to position.

Your electrician can (should) investigate what is present before making the alterations.

1708208021254.jpeg

The first hit on google but pretty much any ≥32A junction box containing a cord grip will do the job, mount it beside the socket.

The first hit on google but pretty much any ≥32A junction box containing a cord grip will do the job, mount it beside the socket.

There may well be one of those in the wall behind the cabinet.

The socket looks to me like it has been fixed to the hardboard back of the cabinet. Most likely there is (or was) a proper cooker outlet in the wall behind it. If it was me I would cut an access hole in the cabinet back and fix to the wall.

The switch looks to me like a 20A one, but there are 30A switches of the same size. Cooker switches and outlets usually have extra-deep backboxes because the wiring is thick and stiff and difficult to position.

Your electrician can (should) investigate what is present before making the alterations.
I'd taken that to be a white painted wall but it may very well be the cabinet back
There may well be one of those in the wall behind the cabinet.
Depends on the original new build fitments. My friends circa 2006-8 was exacly this arrangement (No false backs but surface mounted in adjacent unit) except they paid extra to NOT have the oven and gas hob fitted. In error the oven carcass usefully got fitted with drawer and door.

you would be correct in assuming that is the cabinet back, there is a void behind the cabinet. i stuck my inspection camera through to take a look and unfortunately no oven connector located behind. but i did see the cabling for the2 gang plug. It has 2 sets of power cables as I assume these can be split into 1 13a socket and 1 oven connector? or am I barking up the wrong tree

you would be correct in assuming that is the cabinet back, there is a void behind the cabinet. i stuck my inspection camera through to take a look and unfortunately no oven connector located behind. but i did see the cabling for the2 gang plug. It has 2 sets of power cables as I assume these can be split into 1 13a socket and 1 oven connector? or am I barking up the wrong tree

2 sets? Not normal for a cooker outlet. Can you tell how big they are?

Worrying. It might be on a ring, or part way along a radial.

Best photo I could take sticking my phone though a gap

Attachments

• 20240218_170643.jpg
    20240218_170643.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 40
Is the wall plasterboarded with a gap behind?

Looks like the work of a kitchen fitter.

Do you happen to have a multicutter?

2 sets? Not normal for a cooker outlet. Can you tell how big they are?

Worrying. It might be on a ring, or part way along a radial.
My next action would be to look at the wiring in the isolation switch to get an idea of the size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back