oven to work of 2.5 ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there any ovens which will work off a 2.5 ring main?
or will i have to run in a new 6mm cable.
thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a oven/ring unit called the Baby Belling designed to be plugged into a 13 amp outlet but Appendix 15 BS7671:2008 recommends connecting cookers, ovens and hobs with a ratted power exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit. To avoid overload of the ring circuit.
Eric

if its just an oven (no hob) then most come with a plug to put straight in, so if you already have a socket there and you dont need an electric hob (gas is generally far better) then your all set (assuming the circuit there is as it 'should be'.

if your designing/ installing the circuit then, as stated, above there is now a regulation regarding >2kw (fixed? constant?) loads not been on the ring, I didnt think it specifically mentions ovens (or if the OSG gives more guidance) and I'm not sure which specific loads it refers to as things like the tumble drier, washing machine, kettle, toaster hairdryer tend to sit in the same socket pulling that sort of power. Of course if your putting in the circuit there are all the other regulations to cover, including everyone’s favorite part P.

if your designing/ installing the circuit then, as stated, above there is now a regulation regarding >2kw (fixed? constant?) loads not been on the ring, I didnt think it specifically mentions ovens (or if the OSG gives more guidance) and I'm not sure which specific loads it refers to as things like the tumble drier, washing machine, kettle, toaster hairdryer tend to sit in the same socket pulling that sort of power. Of course if your putting in the circuit there are all the other regulations to cover, including everyone’s favorite part P.

Cookers, ovens and hobs are specifically mentioned.
Have a look at Appendix 15.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the clarification (I dont have a copy). so it comes down to: are you putting a new socket/connection point in? or plugging it in to an existing one?

If you read 433.1.5, it suggests that one way of relieving loads on a ring final could be putting cookers etc of more than 2KW on their own radial.

From my reading, it does not make it mandatory to run a separate radial evrytime a 2KW+ cooker has to be connected. Its a suggestion, nothing more.

TTC, I agree, it's not mandatory though it helps with compliance and would be good practice.
I've never liked the idea of plugging ovens into a downstairs ring final.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back