Oven tripping electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New here, just looking for some guidance on an issue I'm experiencing with our Logik fan oven. Minimal electrics experience so please bear with me.

Bit of background - moved into new home a few months ago, living with the oven which was left in the property. First time of using the oven I noticed that one grill setting would trip the whole electrics as soon as the temperature dial was turned on. The other grill setting worked fine so we have just coped without turning on the faulty setting.

New issue, possibly related - this afternoon I've given the oven a thorough clean using the heavy duty foam cleaner. I've since gone to turn the oven on (switched to the normal fan oven setting) and turned on the temperature dial the electrics have been tripped, again! I've tried other settings too with the same result.

I have cleaned this oven with the same cleaner previously which hasn't caused any issues in the past. My first idea is that the oven is still damp (last time cleaned it was left to dry for 24 hours before used again), it has been left now for 5 hours with the door wide open and the fan running but still no joy,I would have thought it'd be dry by now. I feel potentially a faulty element that might need replacing but can't be sure.

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Bill

Sponsored Links
With the power off, disconnect & insulate both wires from the elements & switch on. If it does not trip then then the chances are your elements have failed. Not a 100% diagnosis but the best you can do without test equipment. If the internal insulation of the elements becomes damp they will not dry out as water must be getting in somewhere.

I would guess it may have a dual element or are you talking of a double oven where the top is also an oven or grill and one side is ok the other goes to fault as soon as it is used. Cooker number and check which sort of element you have. These are usually very easy to replace and widely available

Sponsored Links
If an oven element is damp inside it can always be put in an oven overnight to dry it out. bit of a catch22 but there you go - we do this all the time at work to improve the insulation resistance readings due to dampness in the elements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back