Over boarded ceiling crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I had the ceiling over boarded with fire rated board to comply with building regs. The ceiling now has a crack running along the entire length.
Access to the ceiling is a problem as the bathroom is above. Is it worth filling or caulking or even trying to screw the board and then filling?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if the over boards were staggered but I think the tape was used prior to skimming. I was thinking of scrapping the plaster out along the crack and filling with no nails to prevent the movement and then fill over with flexible filler and rub down?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of scrapping the plaster out along the crack and filling with no nails to prevent the movement and then fill over with flexible filler and rub down?

As you describe, it won't have the strength to prevent the cracks coming back.

If you are to remedy yourself, I'd suggest your best bet for where you are now is to use drywall screws to firmly fix the boards along the joists and minimise movement. I'd focus probably 1m either side of the crack.
If it was me, I'd dig out the crack a bit, cover with scrim tape and use easi fill to cover a width of about 4-6" and blend to the surrounding area.
It will probably still show a bit where it's raised, but it's easier than a ceiling re skim.

Ye thanks for the replies. I thought about using the no nails as the ceiling is double boarded and locating the joists to screw into maybe awkward and the bathroom is above.

Ye thanks for the replies. I thought about using the no nails as the ceiling is double boarded and locating the joists to screw into maybe awkward and the bathroom is above.

You can always drill some small exploratory holes into the ceiling. As you're getting the filler out anyway ;)
Even thought it's double boarded, knocking with a knuckle should give you some idea to start.

Once you find a joist you can work from there, they are usually standard spacings.

Thanks again I'll try and locate studs as you advised.
Craig.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back