Over covering a cement/asbestos garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage roof is corrugated cement/asbestos panels which are in a poor condition. In winter they are very porous and get saturated, and water drips through into my garage. I can't really afford to get the whole lot replaced and was wondering what those with the knowledge think about over covering it with new sheets. I'm fed up of going in my garage and wiping up pools of water from my work bench and toolboxes.

Sponsored Links
Corrugated metal sheets are around £15 including Vat from asphaltic.
Easy to install to existing roof timbers with self sealing Tek screw's.
Hardest part for a DIY project is stripping asbestos sheets and then getting rid of them correctly.
Probably the best option and if you're handy with DIY they're a walk in the park if you follow lap/fixing specs

Thanks for your reply, it's the stripping and getting rid of the cement sheets I didn't want to deal with, I was hoping I could lay new sheets over the top.

Yes no problem just lay them on top and lay a few bricks on to stop the wind blowing them away.

Sponsored Links
Coat the top with a water proofed. Will require cleaning the surface first.

Batten across the top and fit new plastic or metal sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back