Over heating combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiant combi boiler is flashing the over heating warning light when I use the hot water. Any ideas please.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Water pressure is fine. the pump sounds like its running, although perhaps it may be running slow but I don't know how to check pump speed. I have had the heat exchanger out and it's totally clear. Cleaned the pump head. Changed the diverter valve cartridge because it was sticking. There is a sound of bubbling though.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Main heat exchanger blocked?
Faulty stat?
Take the pump head off - is the impeller blocked? Try running it for a few seconds - can you stop the pump with one finger? It should be really difficult. Check the rpm printed on the endprobably. SLow is often Very slow.

Main heat exchanger Clear, had it out and flushed it.
Had the pump head off, no blockage. How do I run the pump head when it's off?
Any ideas how to test pump rpm, multimeter?
Thanks

To check pump operation/speed, remove screw cap to expose end of pump spindle. A small amount of water should seep out while the cap is off - this is normal. You should be able to see the spindle end rotating, and indeed feel it with your finger.

So if I can stop the end of the spindle with my finger, the pump has had it?
Thanks

Instead of guessing, why not put a digital thermometer on the input and output of the heat exchanger (for a start) and take temperature readings. As the heat output builds up, the thermostat sensor (on the output usually) should interupt the power to the gas valve. Move the temp probes about to take other readings to get a better ideal to locate excessive temperature drop (hence) blockage

Pump spindle should rotate freely. Any sticky spots are cause for concern. While it might be OK to run the pump dry (on the bench), prolonged running might damage the pump, since system water lubricates the bearings.

Thanks for everyones input. If I find the problem I will let you know.

I presume that with a PH level of 17-18 that all your plumbing must be in plastic piping !!!.

Are you 100% sure the flashing red is meant to indicate overheating?

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back