Over notched joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replacing the bathroom suite while I'm confined to home.

However I've been confronted with quite a bodged previous install.

I'm after some advice on the best way of reinforcing the over sized notch which has been done adjacent to the wall.

Thanks
IMG_20200408_193050.jpg
IMG_20200408_192924.jpg

Sponsored Links
The angle steel on the floor is something I was thinking could be bonded over the top maybe get the other end on the other side of the wall and get a fixing in....

Have you had issues with this floor/pipework eg. movement or noise?

If I, as a professional, was to approach such a job then i would lift the boards, and remove all waste and supply pipework - but leave the joists in place - then i would sister (or brother, as they are calling it now) all the notched joists.
Clean out the bays and walls, and settle on the new fixture layout.

But this is a forum for DIY'ers - so if you are leaving the bathroom layout as it is then i would leave things as they are but attempt to clip waste and Cu pipes.
Forget about the angled steel - it might give you noise problems.
What - shower tray, bath - do you expect to go in that corner?

The plastic connectors and 15mm bit of Cu pipe should be replaced with 22mm and sweated connectors or at least metal compression fittings.

Sods law says that as soon as your covered up and under pressure problems might appear - but it is what it is.

I was dumb struck when I saw the 15mm on push fit connectors.... All the pipe work will be replaced with newIMG_20200406_121241.jpg

It's gone from a corner bath and we will be fitting a conventional 1700 bath I'm replacing all the 18mm chipboard floor with 18mm ply, while the floors were up I was going to fit some noggins in there as well as it had been a bit creaky. But that's been narrowed down to a mis cut floor board that was being supported with crushed copper pipe :eek:

I don't think theres been any excess movement due to the over notch, the adjacent notched joist is the start of the joist that extends through the wall and spans over the next room (it ends a few inches under that floor board) . Is it worth bolting them together?

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
as long as both notched joists have bearing in that wet wall then there's no need for bolting them together.
maybe a few long screws to eliminate rubbing noises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back