Over Pressurisation of Heating Circuit - Filling Loop Off

Sponsored Links
Oh well that was easy then, but good to know there are cylinders out there that will fit the space we have. I like the 25 year warranty too. Sounds like a quality cylinder. Not cheap either. I don't mind spending the money if I get piece of mind and longevity.

The reason I am doing my homework now is because I have had some bad experiences with plumbers adding money to the parts to top up their earnings! In my last house, the pump died and the plumber we called round said we were looking at £80 for a new pump and £100 to fit it. We agreed and off he went into town to buy a pump. An hour later he fitted the new pump and we paid him. The next day I was in screwfix for some diy bits and I spotted the pump he fitted. £31.50 it was! I looked through the book and sure enough there were pumps for £80, but better known brands. I rang him up and questioned why he charged me £80 for a £31.50 pump, which I suspected he bought from Screwfix. His only answer was "I had to go to Screwfix because nothing else was open at that time on night"
Since then, I have chosen to price up the parts before calling the experts out and in some cases, buy them in first before asking for a quote for labour. When I ordered an Ideal Icos boiler for my last house, the engineer called me from the village 3 miles away and said "Is the new boiler being deliverd to your house or mine?" When I asked why, he said that he charges another £50 to deliver it to the job!!! What!!!! Being a plumber or heating engineer sometimes seems to be a licence to print money. It is hardly surprising that the public becomes wary and some people even undertake their own work, which can be illegal, dangerous or both!

Sponsored Links
Being a plumber or heating engineer sometimes seems to be a licence to print money. It is hardly surprising that the public becomes wary and some people even undertake their own work, which can be illegal, dangerous or both!

:rolleyes: And you were doing so well. It's plumbing and heating engineers who are giving you advice here.

"Being a plumber or heating engineer SOMETIMES seems to be a licence to print money"

Like ALL trades, there are some bad apples that spoil it for the rest.

If it were a lager they'd describe it as reassuringly expensive. If you're looking at list price try your local Grahams for the best price.

I had a long chat with the Vaillant technical helpline this morning and they have suggested that in fitting a new cylinder to a 15 year old boiler, I could be throwing good money after bad and they have suggested buying a good, high output combination boiler, such as the Vaillant 837 Plus.

This is because our current boiler kicks out 28kw and we have 15 radiators, most of which are doubles.

His suggestion makes a lot of sense I feel as we would have unlimited hot water and more space in the utility room.

Not sure if another Vaillant boiler is the way to go though.

Hmm..... after listening to more advice, it seems that having a store of hot water, readily available is a good idea.

A local plumber has given me a price to supply and fit a replacement cylinder by the name of Therma Q Evocyl 150 for £750, which doesn't sound bad.

Any thoughts on these cylinders as I found it hard to find much about them!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...kzWQA-LAOh2zLZFtw&sig2=Xmh4jFlkxQWK9LKKDkU5fA

It all looks good on the link!

But not one that I have ever fitted.

I generally prefer the Santon, the second brand name of Megaflow, or whatever the customer has chosen.

Tony

No idea of competition prices but Grahams Bedford would sell the 150 at 770 + vat. I try to steer clear of sales side.

That's the problem really.

The Santon Premier Plus PP150E comes in at £536.06 (incl VAT) and has a 30 year guarantee and the Ecocyl 150 comes in at £429.70 (incl VAT)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back