Overboard Chipboard Flooring in a bathroom

Sponsored Links
What should be put on first the no more ply on the floor or aquapanel on the walls?

Many thanks

If it's your own house, do it properly and you won't regret.
I would remove the chipboard, install extra noggings, then line with 18mm plywood, seal that with exterior varnish, then 6mm or 12mm cement board.
Tray will never move.
I prefer to line floors first, then walls and use silicone where the wall and floor backboards meet.

Wet boards (aqua panel) and final flooring goes on/down after the tray is in and fully sealed.

Personally I tank any wet area in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Wet boards (aqua panel) and final flooring goes on/down after the tray is in and fully sealed.

Personally I tank any wet area in a bathroom.
Thanks, I thought tray would go on top of the no more ply?.

Thanks again

When doing any job, be it for yourself or a client, it is prudent to mull over need for future repairs or instal failure. Undercut on proper strength of material only means that a task may subsequently need ripping out to carry out remedial work. Sting in the tail is, when doing everything by the book, even that can sometimes throw a wobbly, never mind cutting corners or saving on material

Thanks, I thought tray would go on top of the no more ply
When I say final flooring, I mean the tiles/vinyl or whatever is to be the final floor finish which are usually cut up to the edge of the tray. Yes the tray would sit on whatever supporting material you decide to put in over the chipboard, for the tray to sit on.

Have asked before but still undecided, what’s the best product to put on top of a chipboard floor in a bathroom/shower tray?
Was thinking 6mm ply but there seems so many other options, no more ply etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

What did you decide to go for in the end?
How did it turn out?

I have the exact same predicament. Have a fairly solid thick coated chipboard floor under a shower tray, but due to the larger than average hole cut for the waste there is one small area that has a very very slight flex in it. But its in no way a big enough problem to rip the floor out and replace. It's otherwise fine. Cant get in enough to fit more noggins.

But don't want to give a new tray any excuse to crack or flex. So thinking of laying ply on top for added strength.

Interested to know what you went for.

What did you decide to go for in the end?
How did it turn out?

I have the exact same predicament. Have a fairly solid thick coated chipboard floor under a shower tray, but due to the larger than average hole cut for the waste there is one small area that has a very very slight flex in it. But its in no way a big enough problem to rip the floor out and replace. It's otherwise fine. Cant get in enough to fit more noggins.

But don't want to give a new tray any excuse to crack or flex. So thinking of laying ply on top for added strength.

Interested to know what you went for.
Went for the no more ply in the end, then put the tray on top. The it uses is really strong and all seems good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back