Shower tray subfloor. replace chipboard with plywood or overboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a Mira Flight Low Quadrant Shower Tray 800mm x 800mm x 40mm. My bathroom currently has 20/22mm chipboard flooring. I'm looking to fit the shower tray and tile the remainder of the floor. My plan is to overboard the chipboard flooring with either 6mm No more ply/ Hardie backer to give a subfloor to tile on but when it comes to fitting the shower tray i'm unsure on the best way to go about this.

Option 1) Cut out a shower tray size section in the chipboard floor, reinforce with extra noggins and replace section with 18mm plywood flooring and then fit the shower tray onto of that plywood (that would allow the shower tray to sit 4mm below the existing chipboard and then another 6mm once i have installed the tile backer. Is there a problem with this method?

Option 2) Lay 6mm no more ply across the whole floor and fit the shower tray on top of the no more ply.

Open to any other ideas.

Sponsored Links
No problem with option 1 which is what i would do, in fact, that's what I have done at my place.
You know, age takes over, so less steps is always best.
Option 2 is fine, just tank the floor alongside the walls.
Of course, tank whatever option you go for, even though, many bathrooms i fitted before tanking came up, are still standing and looking good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back