Overboard or plaster to fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently redecorating the spare bedroom. Removed some 'cardboard' lining paper in what used to be the airing cupboard to find it had been used to hide a pretty bad wall :eek: . The cupboard was built onto the chimney breast (no longer used for an open fire) and appears to have had a piece of wood fitted onto it for attaching shelves and whatnot without drilling through to the brick.

The plaster beside it was in a bad state, and without too much hacking at it I've removed a good portion (see pics). I'm wondering what the best way to make this wall presentable is - should I just overboard it or replaster?

I've done a small amount of plastering before so I think I could make a good enough job for inside a cupboard but putting up boards would be quicker I presume?

If putting up boards is recommended, how do I fix them (only put onto stud walls before) and do I need to do anything to the existing wall to make them good before boarding? The cupboard is 510mm deep if that affects the answer, and I have about 15mm before any new surface would be proud of the architrave.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could dot and dab some plasterboard in. Simple and very easy to get plumb walls too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back