Overboard or skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon could anyone tell me best solution to repair bedroom ceiling. Ceiling cracked in numerous places around original boards. Full width of ceiling in a couple of places. Pics attached.
Dont want this reappearing down the line so would best practice be to be overboard with say 9mm? Or just tape and skim?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20231113_123431.jpg
    20231113_123431.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231113_123415.jpg
    20231113_123415.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd overboard. Do you have access above to make sure there's no further problems? Skimming will just cause the same problem and will probs be worse due to the extra load.

Ye ive been in loft check if there is any load on the boards. Only thing in there is the insulation.

If you cant knock it down, overboard it but try and stagger the boards so that they don't correspond with the current cracks

Sponsored Links
Bubbley paint lifted over crack? Sign of 1950 to 70s distemper under emulsion which is degrading over time lifting emulsion along crack.

Pull down or overboard

Ye not so much bubbling but lip eitherside of the cracks.
Thanks for the replies just wanted confirm overboarding was best way to go.
Would 9mm board be ok? Or go for 12mm? Thanks again

Add even more weight to a ceiling that's already bowed under its own weight plus that above, and cracked?

Any thoughts how best to fix boards up where meet wall as no joist? Closest a couple of iinch or more away. thanks

That distance will be fine to screw to and have the board support itself but if you're bothered you can get an expanding foam adhesive designed for bonding PB; run a bead down the board edge and also screw into the joist further away

Add even more weight to a ceiling that's already bowed under its own weight plus that above, and cracked?
The additional weight will be irrelevant. It will however stiffen the ceiling, especially if the boards are fitted properly (staggered). I'd look at a ceiling binder above or some such, for any sag.

Last edited:
The additional weight will be irrelevant
Are you implying that one can continue adding weight to a ceiling in inconsequentially?

Hang a plasterboard between a couple of dining chairs and leave it for a week in the moisture of the house. You'll see that it doesn't stiffen anything

Are you implying that one can continue adding weight to a ceiling in inconsequentially?
No.

I'm saying that an additional layer of 12.5mm will benefit the ceiling and seek to stiffen it (think sheathing etc).

Hang a plasterboard between a couple of dining chairs and leave it for a week in the moisture of the house. You'll see that it doesn't stiffen anything
Irrelevant analogy.

Strip an old loft ceiling (we have done countless times) and go walk about above. Then fix a double layer of (staggered) plasterboards beneath and do the same again.

Come back to me when you've done this like we have numerous times. Plasterboard WILL stiffen the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back