Overboard t&g ceiling or drop first ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering options to sort out the bathroom ceiling in my partners flat before renting it for a year or so before selling.

currently, it is what appears to be wood T&G. lord knows why it wasn't plasterboarded when it was flipped 10 years ago - though judging other aspects of the work done it was done on a minimum budget by a master bodger (think sockets held in place by paint - because fixing the back boxes is just too much like hard work)

As a result of the extract fan not working or being up to much (another thing to fix), the t&g above the shower has warped, creating a nice gap for all the bathroom steam to migrate through. The ceiling is not level either - being approx 1/2" higher at one side than the other.

Is this the sort of thing that can be overboarded & plastered with a skim coat or is it going to be best to drop the ceiling first - something i'd much rather avoid if i can

20200720_210147.jpg
20200720_210216.jpg

Sponsored Links
With the damage above the shower which no longer looks flat , I would be bringing the ceiling down , you might get lucky and find plasterboard above which you may get away with just skimming

Have you popped out a spotlight to have a look?

well, i had a look. seems that the ceiling is MDF t&g - guess the last people who flipped it couldn't work with plasterboard or were willing to pay. didn't see any plasterboard beneath. guess it means it has to come down then. pot lights need replacing with modern LED IP rated ones anyway - would mean that i get to see whatever mess of wiring is hidden behind it.

All subject to 'management' approval ofcourse....

Do you need management permission to make decorating choices in a flat you own?

Sponsored Links
Seems I was a bit slow on the uptake there......

Use the old trick "would you look what happened when I touch it, guess it will have to be changed....."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back