Overflow issue with Potterton Gold tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise in advance as I am mr rubbish at plumbing - hoping therefore for help...

We have a Potterton Gold 250l hot water tank.
This morning I heard 'bubbling' noises and saw that water was dripping from a copper pipe into a plastic pipe by the side of the tank. I only guessed that it is some sort of 'over flow' but I really have no clue...

I turned the boiler off.

I came back from work, turned the hot water on again and the dripping starts immediately.

The entry point to the top end of the pipe is labelled T8P relief valve - it is connected to a plastic pipe but there is a 3" inch gap between the piped so I can see the dripping water?

What should I do?

Regard, Calva

Sponsored Links
Unless you're competent with unvented cylinders and G3 registered the short answer is call someone who is. These are not DIY appliances.

A potterton gold cylinder is a megaflo

There should be instructions written on the front explains how to recharge the "air gap"

Failing that do as above and call an engineer, check that they have the g3 unvented cylinders qualification.

Sponsored Links
It's based on the Santon which has a separate EV, so no DIY air gap to recharge.

I believe Megaflo is the only Baxi product that has air gap. Their other brands, Santon, Center Brand, Potterton Gold, Main and Elson are all the same cylinder with EV.

I would always prefer an unvented with a separate EV.

In your case there is obviously a fault and needs a G3 registered engineer to diagnose the problem.

To help him diagnose you should try to note when its discharging through the tun dish.

Might be one of the following:-

When the water in the tank is cold.

When the water in the tank is hot.

When the water in the tank is heating up.

Tony

Yes, we do have a Baxi megaflow and the 'plastic pipe' drips/leaks when the water is heating up.

It's based on the Santon which has a separate EV, so no DIY air gap to recharge.

I believe Megaflo is the only Baxi product that has air gap. Their other brands, Santon, Center Brand, Potterton Gold, Main and Elson are all the same cylinder with EV.

I thought the Potterton gold unvented were rebadged megaflos, seeing as they are the same company

Can anyone at least tell me if it is ok to keep putting the hot water on (for showers etc) despite the cold water discharge?

I have contacted 3 plumbers so far and none have responded.

Regards

it was the expansion unit.

Not the end of the story however as the hot water taps then started to discharge discoloured water. I'm told the coil in the cylinder has probably gone (although only 3.5yrs old). So we are now waiting for Potterton to turn up to check it out.

Question is it OK to shower in this water until the cylinder is replaced (which could be another week)? And/or will using the hot water lead to the expansion tank diaphram popping again?

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back