Overflow pipe - 3/4" vs 21.5mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long run of overflow pipe that I need to modify. It's stamped '3/4" 19mm'

I've bought some 21.5mm fittings but the existing pipe is around 1mm too wide to fit. Is this usual... do I just need to sand down the outside to get the old pipes to fit the new unions?

I'm confused by the various websites that seem to sell unions as nominal "3/4 inch 21.5mm" when they clearly can't be compatible with both systems?
e.g. https://www.raygrahams.com/products/116157-overflow-solvent-weld-tee-34-215mm.aspx

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess u have floplast from screwfix?

Yes precisely. I think I'll have a crack at rubbing one down tonight to see how hard the plastic is. If I use the reducer couplings then I'd need 3 of them and I prefer the clean look of a solvent weld solution.

There are solvent adaptors that my local merchant sells but couldn't find them online

Sponsored Links
It's annoying; OD of overflow pipe does vary with manufacturer.

I can never remember which is which.

Heat usually does the trick.

Heat usually does the trick.

Great advice. A tiny lick of the blow torch makes it highly malleable, then it sets hard again. A very neat job. I expect a dip in boiling water would do the same thing (impractical in my case due to some of the pipes being fixed horizontally)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back