Overflow - 21.5mm <-> 22mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Executive Summary: Are there two different sizes of solvent weld, 22mm and 21.5mm and if so how do I join them?

Hello,

My cold water tank relocation project is going well, and has now reached the final stage of reconnecting the overflow pipe which seems to be made of the normal white PVC solvent weld stuff. Since the tank is now closer to the wall than when I started I have plenty of spare pipe. I also have a miscellaneous collection of joining pieces, mostly from Screwfix.

The problem is that no matter how I try I cannot get the pipe into the joints. I seem to remember that last time I did solvent weld it was all very easy. Now, looking closely at the pipe I see that it says on the side "Marley Extrusions 22mm UPVC Overflow" whilst looking at my Screwfix joining pieces they all say 21.5mm. Has the industry really managed to produce overflow pipes in two almost identical but incompatible sizes, or are these are so close as to really be the same size and if I was a big burly plumber as opposed to a feeble wimp of a scientist I could just shove them together?

For reference, my house was built in 1990.

Should I just file the end of the pipe down until it fits? Should I put my back into it and stop complaining? Can I buy 22mm fittings from somewhere? Does anyone make an adapter? Should I just rip out all the 22mm and re-do the whole job in 21.5mm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
should a tank overflow not be twice the size of the inlet to assist a worn ballcock to pass water to outside without overflowing over edge of tank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back