Overflowing old toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pictures speak louder than words.

Cistern continues to fill after flush. A tap on the float settles it. I've been tasked with sorting it. It's outside my comfort zone to be honest, never seen so much paint on the external copper pipes. I've also never taken a really old float valve apart. (I've taken old ones apart, and replaced them but this looks really old, and possibly serviceable) I can Isolate the supply. Am I right in thinking just unscrew it all (Internal in the tank) get rid of the crud and put it back together?

Just for a laugh, if nobody replies, I'll take pictures anyway and you can tell me how I went wrong :)

Sponsored Links
Undo the knurled cap at the end, and remove the brass split pin. This allows the plunger, with a rubber washer to come clear. Replace the washer and all should be fine.
An alternative is to replace the entire valve with a type 2, which has an adjustable float.
John :)

Thanks John.

It all came apart quite easily. Cleaned a bit of muck from the washer and the end of the white plastic cone and it seems to have sorted it, but I'll try and get a new washer as it does seem rather worn. I presume I just 'dig' the old red washer out and the replacement presses in.

Don't dig it out ! the end unscrews - 2 pliers -1 holds I unscrews BUT a type 2 will be better for adjustment and backflow protection because the inlet is over the water level. Keep the refurbished one for your roof cistern;)

Sponsored Links
Under £5 for a complete new ball valve...

Agree with you it just isnt worth mucking around with Flush Valve units and replacing washers/ these days.

I advise spending a bit more and getting rid of the Ball Valve.

Agree with you it just isnt worth mucking around with Flush Valve units and replacing washers/ these days.

I advise spending a bit more and getting rid of the Ball Valve.
Must admit I generally replace with a Fluidmaster PRO75B - they seem very reliable and the bayonet connection means it takes about 30 seconds to replace it

I do agree with you guys - I just spent too long working for farmers;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back