Overhead cable over shared access.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, was hoping anyone could help me please.
My neighbour is planning to have an electrical cable erected overhead from his house to his shed. This will be running above our shared access and in front of mine and other neighbours house.
he hasn’t asked anyone for permission to have the work done.
Obviously, we do not want a cable to run across in front of our homes, so how do we stop him. Are there any official guidelines out there, that would help me to quote to him before he goes a head, ie. under the......act, you are not permitted to have this done without our consent.
Please help.
Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Can I also add, that he is not the registered owner of his property. Does this make a difference.
Mark

Yes I suppose he is, he’s definitely not the owner.

Sponsored Links
They will need permission from the property owner, as well as whoever owns the shared access, and probably those who already have a right to use that shared access.
For that you need professional legal advice which can't be provided on this or any other forum. Any agreement to install those cables would need to be done in writing.

Any overhead cable would need to be at least 6m above ground level, which will be impossible unless the shed is exceptionally tall.

His next step will be to buy a generator. Enjoy!

I think He will need a Way-leave for something like this signed by you and your other neighbour

My neighbour is planning to have an electrical cable erected overhead from his house to his shed. This will be running above our shared access and in front of mine and other neighbours house.
I didn't initially think too deeply about that statement, but now I'm trying to picture the situation (without too much success so far!). If the cable would have to run across the shared access and across the front of two houses (neither being his), does this mean that his shed is very remote from his house/garden?

A rough sketch might help us understand!

Kind Regards, John

It reads that way to me..
As I said, I'm trying to picture the situation.

This is way beyond my experience, but iif my current interpretation is vaguely correct, it would not surprise me if planning permission (which might well not be granted) were required, and presumably would have to be sound by the OP and the owner of the 'other property' - since I seem to recall that there are pretty strict restrictions on what can be done forward of the front 'building line' of a house.

Kind Regards, John

I it seems own the shared access to 6 house, and if it needs re-servicing I should claim 1/6th of the cost from each of the other house owners, however in real terms only really serves 4 houses, two house have a 6 foot drop onto the drive, so would be impossible for them to use.

So what is down on deeds is not always true, and my son also found there was no way leave for the supply to next door to cross his property, and the DNO have to dig up next doors drive to take a new supply into the house due to building work.

It gets complex, and unless you read the deeds you simply don't know what is permitted, I seems I need to ask some farmer before doing work on my house until house 25 years old. It was all part of the agreement entered on the deeds. Often there are restrictions like not allowed to keep poultry etc.

The problem is forcing some ones hand can back fire, noisy generator for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back