rendering over overhead electric cables

Rendering over service cables has never been acceptable, and is completely foolhardy. It is arrogance and ignorance of the builder.

I was called to a site where a conservatory company had lost power while cutting the groove in the outside wall for the flashing. No trips gone, but no power.

They had cut through rendered in tails, the gang and flash missed due to dust and noise from grinder.

They had cut phone cable too.

Sponsored Links
Is it acceptable to render over a service cable if it is sheathed in a metal capping?

I'm guessing not.

What sort of response can newbie99 expect if he contacts the DNO, and says the cables have been rendered over, with no protection?
From the DNO?

Or from his arrogant pig of a neighbour after he gets grief from the DNO because he was the one who rendered over the cables?

From the DNO.

Would they care.

I just wondered if they would insist the cable is replaced or removed from the render, and also how much remedial work the DNO may be prepared to do for free.

WESTIE!!!!

Sponsored Links
From the DNO.

Would they care.
No matter how much they care, I cannot grasp why anyone would think that they would give newbie99 any grief whatsoever when it was not he who rendered over the cables.

I just wondered if they would insist the cable is replaced or removed from the render, and also how much remedial work the DNO may be prepared to do for free.
But if they slap his neighbour, who was the one who rendered over the cables, with charges, then he might get grief from him.

From the DNO.

Would they care.
No matter how much they care, I cannot grasp why anyone would think that they would give newbie99 any grief whatsoever when it was not he who rendered over the cables.

But if they slap his neighbour, who was the one who rendered over the cables, with charges, then he might get grief from him.

But didn't newbie99 say on his side of the property, the cables are also rendered over, only protected by metal shrouding?

I doubt the DNO will take any action other than seek to make it safe. Anything else is often not worth the trouble or the possibility bad publicity.

At the end of the day the risks at present are low so can be dealt with

seek to make it safe?

Get them back on the surface or undergrounded, any thing to get the parts that are buried in the rendering out!

If it means that the original diversion plan gets done at no cost to the customer that may well be done

Interesting.

And what is the view of cables buried in render that have have metal shrouding over them, still just as dangerous?

And what is the view of cables buried in render that have have metal shrouding over them, still just as dangerous?
Logically speaking, I would have guessed so - so long as builders and DIYers have grinders, SDS drills and big hammers and chisels :)

Kind Regards, John

just as a point although my wires are covered in the metal shrouding the end from the neighbours side and the tails where the join is are easily visable to show where the cables run.

While neither method is permitted, covering in metal, I would say, is even more dangerous.

If the cables on your neighbours wall were cut would that cut off you supply ?

If the answer is yes then you could mention to him that the risk of damage to the cables has increased now they are hidden. Not only would he be at risk of being sued by an injured workman ( or a dead workman's relative ) as he had created the hazard he could also be held responsible for your losses due to loss of power until the cables are replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back