Overhead Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the house to the garage is about 10ft.
Underground is not an option, neither is clipping to wall.
I plan to run swa in steel flexible conduit supported by cantenary wire.
Never looked at supply type yesterday so not sure if i will need seperate rod yet.

Can anybody tell me were to get cantenary wire and supporting rods, and also the means of supporting the flexible conduit to the wire, i was thinking of cable tie clips?

OSG doesnt give much info out on this

PS...I need to get this job spot on as its going to presented to NIC early 2006

Sponsored Links
Why bother with conduit?

Just have the SWA hung directly from the wire.

Don't forget minimum height off the ground....

Split concentric, self supporting, no catenary wire required - use pre-formed stays (or deadends).

No need for the conduit - just type the swa directly to the catenary wire with UV stabalised cable ties.

Sponsored Links
whilst were on about this, supose you want a suply form your house to garage 4-5M away over a road. underground is not an option so you have to go overhead. the garage is lower than the minimum height. how do you get the wire to this? erect some type of pole onto the side of the garage?

Logically, you would have to. Not just a peice of 4x2 you nicked from some building site though!

Lectrician said:
Logically, you would have to. Not just a peice of 4x2 you nicked from some building site though!

what would you have to do to do it properly? obviously youll need something strong to go up (made of what?) and a steel rope or summit goin in the opposite direction to the cable to support it?

andrew2022 said:
whilst were on about this, supose you want a suply form your house to garage 4-5M away over a road.
Clearance for vehicular access is 5.2m. One heck of a pole...

If it's a public road, I'll be there are all sorts of other rules to consider...

ban-all-sheds said:
andrew2022 said:
whilst were on about this, supose you want a suply form your house to garage 4-5M away over a road.
Clearance for vehicular access is 5.2m. One heck of a pole...

If it's a public road, I'll be there are all sorts of other rules to consider...

im aware, but the main question is what should the pole be made from. over the road was just an example (not that i plan on doin anything like this any time soon.. was just thinkin about it th eother night)

Wel - I know of a pub, whos car park is the opposite site of the road, who have snuck a cable up the REC's duct under the road for the carpark lights :evil:

With regards the pole - depends on the span, but yes, on longer spans, a counter rope may be required, although if fixed well to the building (assuming a substantial building, with a bit of height!), the pole wouldn't require any more support.

I have seen wood, scaffold poles etc etc, but I would always go for a galvanised column - costs a bit though!!

Lectrician said:
Wel - I know of a pub, whos car park is the opposite site of the road, who have snuck a cable up the REC's duct under the road for the carpark lights :evil:

With regards the pole - depends on the span, but yes, on longer spans, a counter rope may be required, although if fixed well to the building (assuming a substantial building, with a bit of height!), the pole wouldn't require any more support.

I have seen wood, scaffold poles etc etc, but I would always go for a galvanised column - costs a bit though!!

thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back