Overhead garage supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone new to the site.

I have been asked to wire a supply to a mates garage and i am just looking for a couple of pointers.
I havent done this type of instal before so excuse my ignorace if i have a couple of things wrong.

I plan on wiring overhead on a caternery wire as underground is not an option.
Supply will be in 6mm SWA 3core using a core as earth, the run will be 25m MAX, there is no extreneous metal or service pipes in the garage.
I will be coming off a 32a mcb in the house DB which is RCD protected and going to a metal clad CU with a 16a and a 6a mcb to power a double socket which will supply a freezer and occasionally a lawnmore. The 6a will be for a flourescent light fitting. I am quite happy that this is ok. If not please feel free to correct anything.

The problem i am having is the garage itsself is only 2.5m high and my mate doesnt really want a pole coming up from his garage to meet the 3.5m height requirement altho the point i exit the house is just over 3m.

The distance from the where i plan to exit the house to the point i enter the garage is 3-4meters. And doesnt cross a driveway it will cross a small path and over bushes until the garage.

Will i have to insist on bringing the hight up or will it be ok crossing the path at a slight angle down to the garage?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The question is who is inspecting and will they really care? In the main one with a domestic can ignore the height limits no one worries. But if it's being inspected by some council official then ask him first.

Some times it just needs common sense.

I'm sure if you though it through you could easily write a risk assessment to show if it was justified at the lower height and use that to decide how to do it

Lots of advice via Google on how to do one

Can vehicles access under where you plan to fly the cable?

Sponsored Links
I mean - nobody on foot ever carries a ladder, do they? :rolleyes: The clearance guidelines are not there for fun.
Indeed they're not. However, many extension ladders are >3.5m (closed), so if it was ladders that the author of the guidelines had in mind, he may not have done a very sensible job.

Kind Regards, John

So I really do wonder what the risks of a live armored 3c 6mm2 cable supported on a catenery over a path actually are?

Perhaps BAS could educate us

So I really do wonder what the risks of a live armored 3c 6mm2 cable supported on a catenery over a path actually are? Perhaps BAS could educate us
Quite. I would think that the electrical risks are minimal. Mechanical risks are presumably comparable with those associated with many washing lines (or even trees) - which, AFAIAA, are not regulated!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back