Overhead garage supply

Could anyone tell me how i am i best supporting the cable to the wire?
Would ordinary cable ties be ok?

Sponsored Links
The problem i am having is the garage itsself is only 2.5m high and my mate doesnt really want a pole coming up from his garage to meet the 3.5m height requirement altho the point i exit the house is just over 3m.

The distance from the where i plan to exit the house to the point i enter the garage is 3-4meters.
So what will be the lowest point of the curve the cable will adopt? Id it actually runs through the bushes what about the frequent movement in the wind?

Mainly because theres a spare 32a in the DB
Is that the best way to supply an outbuilding?

And is the availability of a space in the house CU the right factor to use as the most important one in the design?

Sponsored Links
The problem i am having is the garage itsself is only 2.5m high and my mate doesnt really want a pole coming up from his garage to meet the 3.5m height requirement altho the point i exit the house is just over 3m.

The distance from the where i plan to exit the house to the point i enter the garage is 3-4meters.
So what will be the lowest point of the curve the cable will adopt? Id it actually runs through the bushes what about the frequent movement in the wind?

Mainly because theres a spare 32a in the DB
Is that the best way to supply an outbuilding?

And is the availability of a space in the house CU the right factor to use as the most important one in the design?

The lowest point of the cable will still be above the bushes.

I wasnt meaning to sound so lackadaisical about the mcb i was mainly thinking that a 32a mcd which is rcd protected will be ok to protect a 6mm SWA to supply splitter with 16a and a 6a mcb's. As i said this is my first time doing this sort of install if you have any pointers i would welcome them.
Thanks

I wasnt meaning to sound so lackadaisical about the mcb i was mainly thinking that a 32a mcd which is rcd protected will be ok to protect a 6mm SWA to supply splitter with 16a and a 6a mcb's.
It is, but the question is should you come off the house CU at all?

If you're in the garage and the RCD trips, you have to schlep back to the house to reset it. If anything goes faulty with the cable or the installation in the garage you'll lose the house circuits on that RCD until the problem is fixed.

As i said this is my first time doing this sort of install if you have any pointers i would welcome them.
Meter tails into a switchfuse to supply the garage would be my preference.

I wasnt meaning to sound so lackadaisical about the mcb i was mainly thinking that a 32a mcd which is rcd protected will be ok to protect a 6mm SWA to supply splitter with 16a and a 6a mcb's.
It is, but the question is should you come off the house CU at all?

If you're in the garage and the RCD trips, you have to schlep back to the house to reset it. If anything goes faulty with the cable or the installation in the garage you'll lose the house circuits on that RCD until the problem is fixed.

As i said this is my first time doing this sort of install if you have any pointers i would welcome them.
Meter tails into a switchfuse to supply the garage would be my preference.

I had discussed this with my mate but he is happy with that as unfortunatly he wants to keep costs down, plus it will be his main fridge freezer for his house as he has no space in his small kitchen for a big fridge freezer so it might actually be best so if it trips he will know about it and it could save all his food.
Thanks

I had discussed this with my mate but he is happy with that as unfortunatly he wants to keep costs down, plus it will be his main fridge freezer for his house as he has no space in his small kitchen for a big fridge freezer so it might actually be best so if it trips he will know about it and it could save all his food.
Is your mate going to get a fridge/freezer that is specifically designed for use in 'outhouses'? The great majority of those around warn that they are not suitable for use in outhouses since, ironically, they can stop working if the ambient temperature gets too low.

Kind Regards, John

It's not ironic.
You say that every time I make that comment, so there's probably not much to be gained by repeating it. It may be totally logical to those who understand how refrigeration works but I reckon that the great majority of people would regard it as ironic that a device designed to keep things cool/cold should stop working if the surroundings get too cool!

Kind Regards, John

It's not ironic.
You say that every time I make that comment, so there's probably not much to be gained by repeating it.
Then stop repeating the comment that it is ironic.

It may be totally logical to those who understand how refrigeration works but I reckon that the great majority of people would regard it as ironic that a device designed to keep things cool/cold should stop working if the surroundings get too cool!
Maybe they would, but falsely regarding something as ironic because of ignorance doesn't actually make it ironic.

... falsely regarding something as ironic because of ignorance doesn't actually make it ironic.
You're obviously having a quiet day! Whatever, I'm not so sure about that. AFAIAA something is 'ironic' to someone if it differs from what they expected, and I think that probably remains true even if their expectation is actually incorrect. I'll leave you to debate the dictionary definitions.

Kind Regards, John

ironic
n adjective
1 using or characterized by irony.
2 happening in the opposite way to what is expected, and causing wry amusement because of this.

DERIVATIVES
ironical adjective
ironically adverb

ORIGIN
C17: from French ironique or late Latin ironicus, from Greek eironikos 'dissembling', from eironeia (see irony1).

Is your mate going to get a fridge/freezer that is specifically designed for use in 'outhouses'? The great majority of those around warn that they are not suitable for use in outhouses since, ironically, they can stop working if the ambient temperature gets too low.

Kind Regards, John

I wasnt aware of that, i'll let him know thanks for that!

I wasnt aware of that, i'll let him know thanks for that!
You're welcome - and, yes, I think he should be made aware of that, whether or not he regards it as "ironic" that a fridge/freezer can stop working if the surroundings get too cold :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back