supplying garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
was asked to quote for new supply to garage. No ways on board in house so i quoted for switchfuse off tails then adaptable box on outside wall. 6mm swa overhead on catenary wire to garage approx 10m total distance. garage rcd protected 2 way board for sockets and lights. 4 double sockets, 2 either side of garage all neatly fittted in round conduit and 1 centre light. What sort of figure would be quoted by you guys?

Sponsored Links
Ok i'll help, do you think £480 is a bad price?
That's a fantastic price go for it!
Make sure you get all the required documents for the installation, including certs, schedules of inspection and tests and notification from building controls

Hi Prenticeboy of Derry
It was actually a job that i have quoted for. I thought it was reasonable and allowed 2 days for the job. Customer said they had a "better" quote.

Sponsored Links
Hi Prenticeboy of Derry
It was actually a job that i have quoted for. I thought it was reasonable and allowed 2 days for the job. Customer said they had a "better" quote.
Should have read all the original post.
It's a fair price, it is often a case that the potential client will state they have had a cheaper quote, my experience is that they often have not but looking to squeeze the price or the cheaper price is from someone they know from the pub, that are unlikely to have the equipment or knowledge to test and rarely notify the work.
I have just recently quoted on an extension, where the client has made it clear that they already have competitive quotes from others (like that would make difference to my quote!)
They have since come back asking me to re-quote, as they had some small alterations on the installation, "asking to quote them happy" so I banged an extra £150 on. Which I thought would cheer them up!
But it is up to you, are you happy to drop the price? or do you think the price is fair, make them aware of the documents required and the regulations that must be conformed to, it is often a deal clincher!

Indeed. They may have a quote from an unregistered cowboy.

Now, as you are obviously a competent, certificated and registered electrician you should have the upper hand. Does your customer know that this is notifiable works and that it is law that the work must be notified?

Also, look at the bottom line. Is your competitor VAT registered, are you. That's another 20% advantage right there.

EDIT. I just noticed that you are in Cornwall. Is there electricity there now? Blimey!

I have to admit, as a jobbing punter who is counting the pennies does there own work where they can, it doesnt seem far from what I might expect, by the time theres proberbly most of £100 worth of parts in the job.

What where you doing with the earth?

Daniel

Yea funny Taylor but yea they know its notifiable work and dhutch there is more than a ton in materials and earth taken from a core of the swa

I've lost jobs on price. It happens to all of us. Just forget it and move on. There's no point getting worked up about it, it won't make any difference.

TNCS and no extraneous conductive parts in the garage. I will ignore the rude comments. Just to bring you up to date the customer has informed me that his electrician is doing the job for £150 and that strangely a spare way has appeared on his board so thats good news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back