overheating boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
My old boiler (not the wife) is overheating. It is a glow worm econony, approx 15 years old running 8 radiators. is it possible that the internal thermostat is faulty, and can it be replaced. I have replaced the correct pump according to the suppliers spec.
Any ideas or solutions,Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Did you open the pump valves? :oops:
Does the pump sound too quiet - if so unjam through screw in end.
Does it sound like there are bubbles in water - try bleeding pump and venting at all points , there is often a vent point near HW cylinder.

What work have you done - why/when did you change the pump?
Yes you will still be able to get the thermostat.

Hello chrisr, thanks for replying. pump valves are open enough, pump is set to 3 and is working ok. No bubbles in the water. The pump has been bled and vented.
The pump was replaced 2 years ago because it was weak. It did improve but didnt stop the banging. I was advised to turn down the gas pressure, which a plumber did.
Just had a disater and stripped the thread on the pump valve screw cap, must replace now. I will check any replies and follow any advice when I have replaced the pump, thanks.

That's a bummer, never heard of that - what make of pump was it? Did have a pump valve come apart the other day though. Leaking from the joint on the shaft so I did it...apart!

If your rads ARE getting hot then yes the stat's suspect, if not then sludge could be the culprit.

Old GW's are noisy though!

Sponsored Links
Managed to fix thread without replacing the pump. I checked the pump valves and the bottom one opened a bit more, The system has been on for over an hour and no banging yet when there was before, so fingers crossed. Thanks ChisR for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back