Overheating Shaver Socket

R

roberta1000

I replaced a customer's bathroom shaver socket 3 weeks ago as it had split across the middle. I fitted an MK dual-voltage white one and since I thought the first had maybe been overtightened I only nipped the screws up. Yes - I made sure there was plenty of clearance in the back box. Well yesterday he called me to say that the new one has developed a crack too. Went round today - there's a large crack diagonally across the face and the transformer was very hot. Seems there's a Braun toothbrush charger permanently plugged into it but the charger itself was almost cold to the touch. Any clues before the new one goes fut too? Anyone had similar problems?

Sponsored Links
IIRC some manufacturers recommend not using a shaver socket to charge a toothbrush :confused:

I think it's to do with a rather inefficient magnetic coupling between the base unit and the handset part of the toothbrush, which form the two windings of a transformer, so the power consumption is a tad high for the average shaver socket transformer.

I watch with interest, as we have a shaver socket used in the same way, and it has developed the same crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back