Shaver socket for toothbrush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it seems many electric toothbrushes draw more current than a shaver socket is designed to supply and also do so for longer periods because of the charging.

you have 3 options

2: permanently wire in the toothbrush charger

I can't see that anyone followed up on option 2 so I am seeking advice on this - mainly how best to go about it and whether it would be compliant. I am having the same issue with a hot shaver socket, other websites seem to concur with the opinion that these sockets are not really suitable for the prolonged / permanent use so hard wiring the charger, maybe through the wall to a spur outside the room seems the easiest option. What do the pro's think?

Sponsored Links
To connect a charger in a bathroom permanently, a switched FCU with a 3 amp fuse would be used.
Installing this is notifiable work, so therefore won't be economical to DIY.

No shaver sockets are suitable for toothbrushes, this is why they all say 'Shavers Only' on the front.

If you want to wire in an electric toothbrush charger via a switched FCU then there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a question of what zone (presumably this is in a bathroom?) it'll be installed in, and whether or not the FCU is suitable for the environment it'll be installed in. Another option is to go for a similar setup to that commonly seen with electric towel rails, where the FCU is located outside of the bathroom and only a flex outlet is on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Outside zone 2 will be fine so long as you have rcd protection, you can use a switched fcu outside zone 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back