Overheating very old Baxi 105e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this media- so please be patient.
My boiler is overheating,so it was turned off this morning, arrived home from work thinking a quick reset would do the trick.But same problem- i took advise from a 6 year old thread and adjusted one of the potentiometers to maximise water temp and changed a jumper setting. The boiler is now doing it's job albeit with a max temp restricted to 45 deg C- Does anybody out there know what the likely problem is and what is the solution, apart from paying an engineer a call out charge to tell me to rip it out and replace the boiler with something more efficient.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary a few things to look for, does the boiler fire when there is no call for the CH to be on ? when the boiler is on can you see the flame getting smaller when the boiler is hot ? (through the viewing hole do not remove any casings)

well considering your asking engineers on here what makes you think we wont tell you to rip it out and replace it???

instead of insulting engineers why not ask a simply question of any ideas.
not and you quote "apart from paying an engineer a call out charge to tell me to rip it out and replace the boiler with something more efficient"

with a attitude like that im sure people will be queing up to help you....

not all of us are chancers!!!

it could be a number of things if its overheating
from
pump
thermistors
blockage
ect ect

reply to IJRGAS- you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, the boiler is very old and i think a replacement is in order, unfortunately i don't have the funds for a replacement, i was not out to offend, inflexion is difficult i'll stick to the facts and stop the inane chat. Do unto others as you would have done to yourself is my way.
I will inspect my boiler and see if i can get a reasonable diagnosis.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian, because i've adjusted the PCB all seems to be fine, i can reset the board and see if the symptons you suggested are there. Would you advise me to do this ? appreciate you trying to help.

to GARYBAX

i have no chip my my shoulder i speak my mind.

just sick of people like you thinking we are all out to rip you off simple as that.....

you boiler is proberly prefectly repairable some engineers dont just rip out a boiler because the feel like it some of us use are brains as it more interesting to fix a problem other then to just throw a new boiler on the wall....

you have an overheat problem it could be that the boiler thinks there is a demand for HW when there is none as all combi boilers ramp up and use a lot more gas when the HW is running than when it is only the CH that is req, but it could also be that there is no demand for HW and that the heat just cant get away from the boiler fast enough when on CH only, Im afraid there are too many possibilities with your symptoms and I dont have enough information to properly advise you yet , there is a world of experience and advice available on here and the more information you can give everyone the better advice we can give you in return

People like me. I like to speak my mind also. Came on this site for assistance not a slanging match. Again, i wasn't out to offend, sorry you feel that way.

People like me. I like to speak my mind also. Came on this site for assistance not a slanging match. Again, i wasn't out to offend, sorry you feel that way.

You havent offended me in any way , I just said I need more information as to what is happening ????

Thanks Ian, house is warming up, i'll phone an engineer in the morning. Thankful nobody has informed me that the temporary adjustments i made won't result in an imminent explosion.

Thanks Ian, house is warming up, i'll phone an engineer in the morning. Thankful nobody has informed me that the temporary adjustments i made won't result in an imminent explosion.

The temp adjustments you have made will not harm your boiler in any way and will most certainly not cause an explosion, but dont leave it like that for too long as it wont give you the full benefit with those settings, as previously said lots of possibilities that could cause this but most economically repairable for your boiler

Wasn't referring to you Ian. First time on a forum so not sure about the rules and social niceties. Long day at work and coming home to a freezing house doesn't prepare you for this. You've been very helpful, would have still been waiting on a seven year old thread for a reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back